Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

chin strap/jaw support
RE: chin strap/jaw support
Thank you everyone!  I am going to order the Knightsbridge Dual Band Chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to report back that this chinstrap (more of a jaw support really) is amazing.  I used it for the first time last night.  I couldn't even tell I had it on, and I'm hopeful that when I switch to the nasal pillow mask, it will help keep that in place better.  Most importantly, it actually kept my mouth closed, which no other chinstrap has done because the force is always pulling my jaw backwards, which is the exact opposite of what I want to happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
The knightsbridge looks like a great concept, and applies pressure in much the same way as the soft cervical collars we often talk about. Most chin straps pull back, but this one is actually up and forward, and minimal pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Knightsbridge item looks interesting. I may buy one of these, the PAPCap, or both for myself sometime. I'm trying to use nasal or pillows instead of just full face, for smaller form factor and comfort. But my big mouth doesn't want to stay closed.

Hope this works well. Maybe you'd do a review on it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I stated earlier, it works well and does hold the chin straight up. It is an alternative to wearing a "neck warmer," which is what the collar can be sometimes (undesirable). But, it is a head covering, albeit a ventilated one over the top of the head, and it does, at least for me, transmit the sound of air flowing through the P30i tubes. It isn't loud, of course, and I slept once I got used to it (heck, some people sleep with noises louder than that on purpose), but it does transmit that sound on the sides and since it covers the ears with the harder velcro fabric.

It's a trade-off for us mouth breathers. One way or another (full face, neck warmer, head warmer/toboggan) our heads are going to be confined. Last week and a half, I've donned the F30, and it isn't really that bad and doesn't leak at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this one:

It's a little tight but it works.  I am not allowed to post links here but you should be able to find it via the photo on Amazon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
propellerhead, the "little tight" is what you can avoid with the Knightsbridge Dual Band.  It's designed to work but you feel almost no force ...
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 11:43 AM)LeonardoDR Wrote: propellerhead, the "little tight" is what you can avoid with the Knightsbridge Dual Band.  It's designed to work but you feel almost no force ...

Thanks for the suggestion.  As it's like a cap, I can see how it dissipates the tension to make things more comfortable.  However I think I might get too claustrophobic when wearing my cpap mask with it.   Do you use this with a cpap mask as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the Knightsbridge is good with nasal pillows to stop mouth leakage.  The only claustraphobic aspect for me is that it covers the ears, which I actually like because I'm sensitive to sounds while sleeping.  Other than that I hardly notice it except mildly under the chin.  (But then I'm bald and wear knit caps a lot anyway.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2019, 02:42 AM)Lanco Wrote: I tried some chin straps.  That lasted a few minutes.  I have found success by switching to a FFM.  I am successfully using the Resmed F20 AirTouch foam cushion. It tends to support my jaw and helps keep my mouth shut.  I tried the F20 AirFit but it does not support my jaw and had problems with opening my mouth, dry mouth and aerophagia.  The right FFM is so much more comfortable than a chin strap also.   Try it, you'll like it.

I also have used an Apex Wizard 220 FFM for a long time with excellent results also.  Only about $65 from one of our suppliers.

I wish that solution would work for me. I found the F20 leaked badly, and I was claustrophobic. I lasted about 1-2 hours with the mask on during a one week trial.

I'm glad it works for you.

I use a C'pap cap off and on.  (no pun intended).  If I don't get it on right it slips down over my eyes! That doesn't help my claustrophobia!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,331 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 595 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,100 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 495 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 406 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.