Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cpap eye bags
cpap eye bags
I started using a full face mask recently, moving on from my beloved P10 nasal pillows due to mouth leaks. The face mask is working and I've achieved excellent seal, as far as I can tell--and the resmed tracking site confirms this. However, I'm getting new morning puffy bags beneath my normal bags. These last quite a while. this never happened with my nasal pillows, which vented differently. I think it's the venting air which is causing this (?). I use the Airfit f20 resmed mask and it vents upwards, towards my face.

Any advice/suggestions? The mask works great other than this. 

--Jeff

p.s. I sleep on my back on a gentle reclining 'pillow' so my head is raised up from flat. I also spend some time on either side.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cpap eye bags
I also have the airfit F20 but don't feel any venting on my face. The mask may be leaking where the cushion fits against and over the bridge of your nose. I sometimes experience that. Often I can get a better seal by simply lifting the mask slightly from my face while the machine is running. Sometimes I need to adjust the straps slightly slightly.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks Melman. I do exactly what you do every time: gently lift the mask and then make any adjustments to my straps. You may be right about the nose bridge area. However the resmed 'my air' report indicates a perfect seal--except for the few nights when I experimented with loosening the straps around my nose and cheeks. I got the cheek farts and the resmed site picked up on it.

When I first started using the mask I got some air vented around my eyes but learned to adjust it so that stopped. I just wonder if it reflects off of my blankets or pillows or...something. something is causing the bags, that I never had with my nasal pillows for a decade.

the stupid mask liners are really expensive and you have to experiment to find the right ones. so I'm reluctant to try them. I have a bump at the top of my nose bridge. mabe it's just anatomy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you rotate the direction of the tube, so the venting goes away from your face?  That's what I have to do.

P.S. I gave up my beloved P10 because of the same reason - suddenly not being able to keep my mouth closed.  I thought it was a *me* problem. What I've come to learn is that it's a P10 venting problem. The vent seems to get blocked up over time, causing re-breathing... which the body inherently dislikes and rejects, thus causing the mouth to get air instead.  Sure enough, I use *any other nasal pillow/mask*, and my mouth stays closed just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
....my experience with with airfit f20: it looks not provoking eye-bags.

....eye-bags for me, I kind of wellcomming them: they look associated with  quieter better nights, less moves due to PLMS/RLS.

....Leaks sometimes due to minor/significant shifts (sedation/hanging falling head, just prior and after entering in REM, etc). When aware, I have been correcting leaks with minor adjustments on straps or pull out and back. 

.....Main problem with AirfitF20, for me: leaks tend to become detrimental under pressures higher than some 11.8/12.0.

good luck

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap pillows and under eye bags cindylouwho 5 2,901 05-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up cpap4uars 14 9,594 06-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: cpap4uars
  help- bags under my eyes readyforsleep 3 2,468 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Tez62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.