Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dry mouth with full face mask
dry mouth with full face mask
I'm getting more confident by the 'night' that my Dreamwear full face mask (which comes under the nose) and the use of a soft cervical collar is working.
Except for the random large leak, my leak rate is reasonable and the AHI count is decent. I am often unaware I am wearing the mask.

One of the last challenges is addressing dry mouth. I use biotene at bedtime and either put one or two xylimelts in my mouth. I'm not a big fan of the latter, and hope I can do without them someday. I use a room humidifier, and I set the Resmed 10 humidifer to AUTO. In the morning, the water in the tank has decreased a small amount.

Should I set the humidifier and/or temperature to manual and try to increase the settings? For a month or so, I had it set to 81 degrees/5. 
One time I got rainout, but several times I have positioned the machine on a low stool next to the bed. Re: hydration. I drink a lot of water
during the day.
Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dry mouth with full face mask
Have you tried running the humidifier in Manual Mode and higher humidity and/or hose temperature settings? Manual mode seems to me to increase available humidity. You are probably going to need to edit those 3 settings to get best comfort levels.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have tried a setting of 5 and 81 degrees before.
I am wondering if people ever try 6, 7, or even higher for a humidifier setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2019, 08:13 AM)renoir Wrote: Thanks. I have tried a setting of 5 and 81 degrees before.
I am wondering if people ever try 6, 7, or even higher for a humidifier setting?

I run my humidifier setting between 4-8 depending on what's best for that sleep session. I had about 9 months use last year that it stayed on 8.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tonight I'll crank it up to 7 or 8. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and post if it helped. You may need a few attempts at adjusting each of those 3 settings to get one that's best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the use of a heated tube in addition to humidity help in addressing dry mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be sure to report back. 
I am putting my hose on 81 degrees.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the situation requires higher humidity, the heated hose setting may need to increase to fight rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
No luck. Rainout. Humidity was 7, heated hose 82.

Moving on to Plan B. Keeping a tube of biotene gel next to my bed. Will apply it when I wake up with dry mouth. Will return to the auto settings for climate control.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 142 5 hours ago
Last Post: Yeliad
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 65 7 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 58 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 125 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 787 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 302 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.