Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help reducing CA events
help reducing CA events
Hello,

Recently Diagnosed (34 AHI), tho I suspect I have been dealing with it for years. Started CPAP therapy last week, I know it will take some time to adjust, but I would like to try and optimize my settings to hopefully speed that process up and start sleeping better. I have been having a bit of a struggle falling asleep / back to sleep, from other threads it seams turning off the Ramp time may help with this. It also appears most of my events are Clear Airway, my current pressure is 5-15 with EPR set to 3, based on these graphs is there any recommendations to try regarding Min pressure or EPR? Or  am I better off leaving the settings where they are for a few weeks first?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help reducing CA events
Your minimum pressure is 5.0 and EPR is set to 3. That cannot work, and the EPR will encourage more CA events. Turn off EPR and you should see the events clear significantly. Based on these results, you could set minimum to 5, maximum to 9.0, and it would not change your pressure range. Get a copy of your diagnostic sleep study if you don't have it already, and look for whether central events were present. The PAP therapy for central apnea is adaptive servo ventilation (ASV) and your CPAP can't do that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply! I never received the results of the study other than the AHI number so I will request that tomorrow and try disabling the EPR tonight and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Well done on your choice of charts to present.

In your case I see disrupted breathing and what looks to be more tossing than centrals. It could be just your tossing.

Set you min to 7, that is needed to allow full use of EPR.

Set EPR =1 to see if it helps the ca events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried setting min pressure to 7 with EPR set to 1 on Sunday night, I noticed the leak rate was much higher than any of the other nights and I frequently found myself awake with a mouth full of air. Monday nights I tried min pressure 6 with EPR at 1 and found myself waking up less often with a mouth full of air and less leaks but still felt terrible in the morning. Last night I started the night with Min pressure of 5 and EPR turned off but felt like I could not breath when I woke up in the middle of the night so I bumped the pressure back to 6 the rest of the night. When I went to turn the pressure back up I noticed in the Clinical setting EPR still said it was at 1 even tho it was disabled in the regular menu.
Today is the worst I have felt in the morning by far. I got a Chinstrap this morning to try tonight. Based on these results should I give min 7 EPR 1 another try, or possibly try disabling the EPR from the clinical settings and trying 5 or 6 again.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion was a minimum 5, maximum 9 with EPR 1 or EPR off. I don't see the need for higher pressure for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: liebano
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 355 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.