Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hookedonstitch - Therapy
RE: Angela P Therapy
(08-11-2021, 03:46 PM)hookedonstitch Wrote: This was last night, between 8-9 am I was messing around holding my breath to see if it would increase the AHI. 
If my AHI increases over 5 will the sleep doc pay more attention to my concerns and will it make my case stronger to try a bipap?  Or am I just wasting my time and she will know what I am doing?

Um, if you want to play that game -- mask up, lie on your back with two pillows, chin down on your chest, go to sleep.

And, yeah, the sleep doc basically told me to do this during the sleep study.

AHI of 18, baby, 18!

(Phun phact: sleep medicine makes a big deal about supine/prone/right/left, producing separate AHIs for each position. Those don't matter, at least not directly -- what matters is neck angle. So on your side in a fetal position is just as effective at generating big clusters of apneas. Which is how I could get a non-supine NREM AHI of 39 and a supine REM AHI of 42, and that averaged out to 18 Grin )

(Second phun phact: every choral director knows about neck angle. This is why the gold standard for singing is memorized. If you sing looking down at your music you cut off your air supply. If you sing with music, the director reminds you constantly to "look up" and "sing out" and "keep your chin forward".)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2021, 12:10 AM)cathyf Wrote: Um, if you want to play that game -- mask up, lie on your back with two pillows, chin down on your chest, go to sleep.

And, yeah, the sleep doc basically told me to do this during the sleep study.

AHI of 18, baby, 18!

(Phun phact: sleep medicine makes a big deal about supine/prone/right/left, producing separate AHIs for each position. Those don't matter, at least not directly -- what matters is neck angle. So on your side in a fetal position is just as effective at generating big clusters of apneas. Which is how I could get a non-supine NREM AHI of 39 and a supine REM AHI of 42, and that averaged out to 18 Grin )

(Second phun phact: every choral director knows about neck angle. This is why the gold standard for singing is memorized. If you sing looking down at your music you cut off your air supply. If you sing with music, the director reminds you constantly to "look up" and "sing out" and "keep your chin forward".)

I tried this for one night just to see what would happen and I only managed an AHI of 3.2, so obviously it doesn't really impact anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could use some advice on next steps with my treatment.

My GP has been managing my Iron Deficiency Anemia, I am taking supplements but my levels are not going up. He sent a referral to a Hematologist which was refused saying my issues are dietary, take supplements. I wanted my Sleep Doc to be in the loop because she recommended that I ask my GP to refer me to the Hematologist (that refused me) because my low ferritin is causing restless legs which is impacting my sleep. I have moderate PLMD.

I got a very disturbing phone call yesterday from the sleep docs Receptionist who practically barked at me "Am I taking my iron supplements!". Nothing else just this 1 question, I asked her why and she just repeated the question becoming more firm each time until I answered.

Now I'm not so sure how receptive this sleep doc is to my concerns. How do I proceed from here? I have an appointment to talk with the Sleep Doc by phone next month.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also could we change the title of this thread to
hookedonstitch therapy
I just realized the board is completely private
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hookedonstitch - Therapy
Thread name change done!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hookedonstitch - Therapy
Thank you Crimson Nape
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2021, 09:46 AM)hookedonstitch Wrote: I could use some advice on next steps with my treatment.

My GP has been managing my Iron Deficiency Anemia, I am taking supplements but my levels are not going up.  He sent a referral to a Hematologist which was refused saying my issues are dietary, take supplements.  I wanted my Sleep Doc to be in the loop because she recommended that I ask my GP to refer me to the Hematologist (that refused me) because my low ferritin is causing restless legs which is impacting my sleep.  I have moderate PLMD.

I got a very disturbing phone call yesterday from the sleep docs Receptionist who practically barked at me "Am I taking my iron supplements!".  Nothing else just this 1 question, I asked her why and she just repeated the question becoming more firm each time until I answered.

Now I'm not so sure how receptive this sleep doc is to my concerns.  How do I proceed from here?  I have an appointment to talk with the Sleep Doc by phone next month.

Anyone have any advice to offer when talking with my dr?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 162 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 815 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.