Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how can I make histograms from my SPO2-datafiles?
how can I make histograms from my SPO2-datafiles?
my question
I am trying to find a way to make histograms from my SpO2 data.
Does anyone how to do that?
And/or which software to use?

my data files

The pulse-oximeter I have is the beurer PO 80
This pulse-oximeter produces spoR and csv files 

possible software

1. The software I use now to capture and show data from the pulse-oximeter is the SpO2viewer from Beurer (free download on their website) 
It makes two histogrammes, but very simple ones.
2. Excel does not seem to be equipped to handle a full night of data (large csv-file), or am I donig somthing wrong? 
3. I am downloading a trial version of Matlab.
4. But maybe R is the way to go?
(I don't know anything about R or Matlab yet, other than that they are used for statistical analysis of data.)
5. I have just imported my first spoR file into OSCAR. I see no histogrammes, just a table.

Why do I want histogrammes?

background: I have REM-apnea, probably position related. So now I am trying to find out if sleeping on my side instead of on my back will reduce the number of (deep) desaturations. 
But I would also like to be sure that I don't get not-so-deep-but-longer-desaturations instead.
I found a scientific article about that sort of analysis:

"A review of approaches for analysing obstructive sleep apnoearelated patterns in pulse oximetry data" by  Philip I Terrill in Respirology.
In which Terrill shows how to analyse SpO2 data beyond the AHI-number (ODI-number).
He shows for example a graph for cumulative frequencies (so you can see what proportion of the night you have a certain spo2-value)
I am attaching an illustration from the article that shows what I mean.
(this illustration is about showing differences betwee pre- en post-surgery, my question here is just about showing differences)
I would like to do this with my own spo2-data.
Can anyone here help me on my way with this?

Best wishes!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how can I make histograms from my SPO2-datafiles?
Import the csv data file into a spreadsheet program (Excel or LibreOffice Calc) and then chart the data you wish.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oscar developers can look that attached file. Something from it's bottom diagrams can be implement to Oscar if they have something valuable with apnea treating.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2020, 11:05 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Import the csv data file into a spreadsheet program (Excel or LibreOffice Calc) and then chart the data you wish.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It would work certainly for smaller amounts of data, but an entire night of oximetry has too much rows .
Excel only imports a smal portion of the datafile
These are huge files...

(03-21-2020, 05:21 PM)unidee Wrote: Oscar developers can look that attached file. Something from it's bottom diagrams can be implement to Oscar if they have something valuable with apnea treating.

That would be wonderfull!
It should not be too difficult, and it certainly would give more insight in the de-saturations , based on oximetry data that allready are known. 

If I need to explain better the value of these histograms, I will do so, if anyone is interested. 

best wishes!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2020, 05:21 PM)unidee Wrote: Oscar developers can look that attached file. Something from it's bottom diagrams can be implement to Oscar if they have something valuable with apnea treating.

The author of the article dircted me towards another article in which an algorithm for making the graphs (= a computerized algorithm for identifying and analyzing desaturations) is given. I quote: "This algorithm has been implemented in MATLAB, and the key elements of the source code are provided as additional supplementary files. These extracts have been carefully chosen to allow readers who are not technical experts to apply the method to their data. A brief tutorial is provided." 

I will see if I can get it to work in Matlab.

For others who want to try: 
customised software for some of the analyses presented is provided as a supplement to this paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full...ppul.23987
The supplements can be accessed without paying, just click on the blue bar that says 'supporting information'.
The paper itself  is accessible via sci-hub
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR SpO2 CSV import ST Dog 22 3,099 04-14-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
Question Spo2 data format Squid3083 11 2,341 03-11-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Rebakim4
Ohmy I AM GOING BATTY PLEASE HELP ME MAKE SENSE OF THIS Plmnb 2 207 03-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SpO2 Assistant Data File Conversion WSHenry 3 3,150 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: BiggerDog
  Can anyone tell me from this screenshot what Oscar is using as my baseline SpO2 level mikep118 13 1,939 11-13-2023, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
Gross SpO2 Assistant Unable To Start Correctly Merlin309 0 475 09-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Merlin309
Idea Spreadsheet Analysis of SpO2: Median of +/- one minute looks helpful DavidEsp 1 733 08-22-2023, 10:55 AM
Last Post: chemmkl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.