Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

kicking and thrashing tonight—-why?
kicking and thrashing tonight—-why?
Tonight I woke at 0215. My wife told me I had been kicking, moving around constantly and raising my arms up. I use a Resmed  Airsense 10, with a nasal mask. I have used this machine for 4 years, with no problems my nose is chronically congested, so I have to squirt decongestants in my nose before bedtime. She also said I was snoring, which doesn’t happen when my mask fits well and my nose is open. Was all this due to inadequate airflow through my nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: kicking and thrashing tonight—-why?
I am sorry to learn of your experience, and about you and your spouse's anxieties.  Very understandable.

It my have been exceptionally vivid dreams.  If it were an occlusion, it would show in the flow limitations just prior to your waking.  Take a look. [Have you become familiar with the freeware sleepyhead?  It's available at sourceforge.  Your machine may have an SD card in it and the data can be downloaded to the sleepyhead programme and scrutinized in graphic format.] But, if you really are having trouble getting air, it could be a head position problem (controlled by a cervical collar, as many resort to using), and even the rhinitis or congestion you are contending with.  It would be a small wonder you are thrashing.

Others will drop in and offer comments.   Please be patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
how did your ahi compare to other mornings? obviously, snoring, flow limitations, OA and OH are related so if you were snoring more than usual you might have been having more events than usual as well.

before treatment - actually even during less than optimal treatment - I thrashed a lot struggling to breathe. really a lot. moaning, groaning, mumbling, cursing. foot roll, leg roll, neck roll, kicking, hitting shoulder/chest with fist, waving hands/arms above me. after 2+ years, finally getting my ahi down under 5 (actually, probably under 1) eased a lot of that activity.

I still have periodic leg movements that cause partial and full arousals. my sleeping body complains about these in similar ways as described above, but not often or as pronounced.

apnea and treatment can contribute to stress and anxiety which can also be reflected in sleep quality and activity.

if you snore open mouthed you're mouth breathing in or out or both so it could well be a congestion issue.

maybe try a chinstrap, soft cervical collar or tape to keep mouth closed as much as possible. maybe not tape if you are chronically congested. nasal pillow masks directed straight into nostrils are really great in clearing 'normal' congestion like from a cold.

watch this for a while. if/as it continues you might get a better feel for what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2019, 01:54 AM)Stiffdoc Wrote: my nose is chronically congested, so I have to squirt decongestants in my nose before bedtime.

This could be your problem. Decongestant sprays are not a good long term strategy. They will become ineffective. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There are steroid sprays such as flonase and antihistamine sprays such as astelin. The NeilMed sinus rinse kit is a good idea, it may work for you. For some people the saline sprays are enough.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,212 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  CPAP conquered, PLMS still kicking coldfeet7 1 489 01-14-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Brazen
Sad [CPAP] Need help tonight Chavonda67 1 431 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 7 1,237 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: factor
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 822 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Pressure] Titration study last night - Recommended settings for tonight? trialNerror 5 788 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tonight's the first night with VAuto, should these settings be okay? moodotkai 5 852 02-10-2021, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.