Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leaks (mask or mouth?) excessive tearing (leak or dry mucous?)
leaks (mask or mouth?) excessive tearing (leak or dry mucous?)
Hello everyone,

Every other day i get leaks. I've always suspected it was mouth leaks but now i think it's a misplaced p10 that is sometimes causing the leaks.
I have inscreasingly tearing eyes (Mostly the left) in the morning and whenever i go outside.

Is it possible from this graph to confirm it's mask leaks?     
Otherwise i'm putting gel(Rhinaris) in my nostril to avoid them beeing too dry, it's another known cause of tearing eyes. In the morning i also have congestions that could correspond to dry  mucous.

Any tips on how to make my life easyer with this?

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaks (mask or mouth?) excessive tearing (leak or dry mucous?)
The majority of the short-term leaks appear to be mask leaks. The longer leaks from 00:00 to 01:20 with flat tops are likely mouth leaks.  Sometimes a larger nasal cushion helps and sometimes you need a bit tighter headgear.  The Resmed N30 nasal mask headgear has an adjustment tab and fits our P10 masks.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ff...f=1&nofb=1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot.

I have fairly large nostrils and i'm already using the large cussion. But yeah i feel the headgear could be the culprit. I changed my mask just a week ago so it's not even loose yet.  

Did you ever try the n30? 
i wonder if i could only get the n30 headgear and p10 separatly without going over budget.

Another option is the small clip that comes with the p10 but it's not really precise, reliable and confortable.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not done it myself, but I think the mask parts like the headgear are available. Maybe Amazon or some of those on the supplier list will have it. Others that have done this will certainly clue you in better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2021, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The longer leaks from 00:00 to 01:20 with flat tops are likely mouth leaks. 

Well, if this was my chart I'ld know that the flat leaks are mask leaks whereas the spiky leaks between 3:00 -- 3:40 and 4:40 -- 5:40 had been mouth leaks.  

I'm taping and in case the tape seals well all leaks are mask leaks, appearing as plateaus in my case.  If I hadn't shave for two days or so the tape doesn't fully seal and those spiky leaks occur together with dryness of my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2021, 03:36 AM)multicast Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The longer leaks from 00:00 to 01:20 with flat tops are likely mouth leaks. 

Well, if this was my chart I'ld know that the flat leaks are mask leaks whereas the spiky leaks between 3:00 -- 3:40 and 4:40 -- 5:40 had been mouth leaks.  

I'm taping and in case the tape seals well all leaks are mask leaks, appearing as plateaus in my case.  If I hadn't shave for two days or so the tape doesn't fully seal and those spiky leaks occur together with dryness of my mouth.

Last night i used the p10 clips to tighten the mask. The leaks seems significantly lower.    

There are 2 plateaus and 3 spikes.

I dont know if it's conicindential but my AHI is higher. It would make sense because if the mask is on longer more events are treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Substential leaks again:      

Mouth or mask?

Are plateaus mouth? or they are peaks. I'm confused
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was my diagram it would be a mouth leak. Send a zoom of 2 or 3 minutes around 2:00 where leaks occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2021, 08:12 AM)multicast Wrote: If it was my diagram it would be a mouth leak.  Send a zoom of 2 or 3 minutes around 2:00 where leaks occur.

Around 2:00:     
around 00:00:    

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Zoom in more, the interval should be around 90 seconds to two minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 357 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 232 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.