Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mouth guard and sleep apnea
mouth guard and sleep apnea
Hi two questions for those who wear mouth guards for bruxism
1. Does your ahi or sleep events per hour go up when you wear your mouth guard?

2) does your grinding your teeth or clenching teeth decrease as a result of using cpap machine and if so how long did it take please
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mouth guard and sleep apnea
After using my CPAP machine for a few weeks I no longer needed my night guard. It had no affect on my AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2017, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: After using my CPAP machine for a few weeks I no longer needed my night guard. It had no affect on my AHI.

Hi how did you know when to stop using your guard 

Also when you used your guard  was your ahi higher. My ahi is higher since I used the guard I have been using cpap at least a month
Post Reply Post Reply
1) I have no clue how AHI is affected... because I never sleep without my guard. I have 2 cracked molars, from before I got the guard, and I don't care to make those worse or to crack any more teeth.

2) I've only *just recently* noticed that I'm clenching *a tad less* than pre-xpap (and I've been x-paping for 5.5 months). BUT I'm chewing *more* in my sleep now. So... I'm not sure what to make of that. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a mouth guard all the time as the molars are progressively chipping away.
Have no idea if it affects AHI. Not going to go without it to find out, though.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2017, 09:27 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi how did you know when to stop using your guard 

I didn't know. I tried it as an experiment and my neck and jaw muscles weren't getting sore.

Quote:Also when you used your guard  was your ahi higher.

No.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2017, 09:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 09:27 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi how did you know when to stop using your guard 

I didn't know. I tried it as an experiment and my neck and jaw muscles weren't getting sore.

Quote:Also when you used your guard  was your ahi higher.

No.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.