Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newb w resmed auto10
newb w resmed auto10
Hi guys , just wanted to say thank you all for this site, it is truly a life saver. I have mixed apnea’s with about 50/50. My apnea index is right under 20. I have failed many in lab studies due to the fact that I can’t sleep at all, I suffer from anxiety and I have literally just laid there the whole night, my last study I slept for an hour but was awakened because I had to pee. Other attempt had swallowed to much air an my stomach was hurting extremely bad..It really sux that they give u the boot abt 5am. Over the last few months my blood pressure has gotten reallly bad. Dr put me on meds and told me to lose weight.
I started to exercise daily now and I feel that I’m fighting for my life, About 2weeks ago I started having flank pain on my right side , it starts in the morning and by midday it subsides, I was wondering if my kidneys are taking a beating. Sometimes I pee 3 or 4 times a night.
So in regards to cpap therapy my dr got me a ResMed Airsense 10 apap, I just started it 2 nights ago because I had been recovering from a septoplasty an my nose has been really sore.
1st night wore it for 6hrs and ahi 9
Last night only wore it for about 2hrs because the damn hose came disconnected from machine, I was like what the crap when I saw the end just dangling and I been wearing the mask all night.
I did manage 2 get 2hrs of sleep and my ahi was 1. 
Sorry for the long winded stuff it’s just nice to tell my story. Here are my questions.

How does the machine differentiate between centrals,osa,hyp, is the information pretty reliable? Today I’m going to get an SD card so I can post results.
Can I get a longer hose, on two different occasions I have pulled the unit off my nightstand or pulled hose off.
Thank you , and god bless
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newb w resmed auto10
It's early days, but 2 hours sleep and 1 ahi is what I would call a win Smile
It sends a pulse of air and senses the time it takes for a return. Have a read of this page, it's called FOT
https://www.resmed.com/au/en/commercial-...ology.html
Central sleep apnea (CSA) detection uses the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine a whether a patient’s airway is open or closed during an apnea. When an apnea has been detected, small oscillations in pressure (1 cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4 Hz) are added to the current device pressure. The CSA detection algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressure (determined at the mask) to measure whether the airway is open or closed.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Justbeathe

Big welcome to the forum and well done for getting 6 hours on your first night. That was fabulous!!

Technically I do not know how the machine differentiates between central, obstructive and hypopnea to rate it but I trust that they do. Perhaps the technically knowledgeable members of the forum will chime in to explain. Yes the information is really really reliable. Resmed is an internationally reputable manufacturer of PAP machines prescribed by health professionals the world over. But never mind them, take it from us the sufferers-it has done fine by us too as we are testimony to the efficacy of treated sleep apnea with PAP therapy.

Even as you wait for the SD card, if you like, please post the results obtainable from your machine (with Essential Plus turned on). What hose are you using right now-most hoses are 2 metres in length and should really cover the ength of your bed if the machine is at level with your bed and adjacent. I do remember pulling my machine off the bedside table on one occasion and woke to find it dangling wedged between my bed and side table. Have been more conscious since then and have slept closer to the machine these nights.

Looking forward to reading more from you and wishilng you the best............
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Justbreath, Welcome to Apnea Board,

Centrals typically may be labeled as Clear Airway or CA for short. The machine sends pulses of air into the mask to determine if the airway is clear after it senses you're not breathing. No restriction detected and it classifies it as CA. If a restriction is detected it is labeled as OA. Hypopnea is a partial restriction. Others may correct me if I've strayed from accuracy.

Reliability? It's fairly accurate. Enough so that it will tell you how good or bad you're doing in the therapy. Is it perfect? No, but it's close enough for us to know what's going on.

SD card: limit it to a 32GB; I think that's the largest allowed/supported.

Hose: some offer a 10' length, otherwise there are couplers to hook 2 hoses together.

Best wishes on success,

Dave lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Justbreath,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy and your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the hose....it really shouldn't be popping out of the machine.

Regarding a longer hose.... Yes, you can get a longer hose. You could get the same kind you have right now, just longer, OR you could get a mini hose up near your mask (unless you have one attached to your mask already). I bought the little short hose from Supplier #1 and it's very handy. It's lightweight and more comfortable when it rests on me. It's very easy to disconnect in the night, and I don't have to touch my finicky mask to do so.

My short tube is called: SleepWeaver Featherweight Tube. I have it covered in a Pad-a-cheek fleece sleeve, which keeps the hose from sliding around on the bed (just enough friction with the bedcovers).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys I picked up a longer 10ft hose from my supplier, it's a generic without the 45deg ends but should be long enough so I don't pull it off the table anymore my old was was six feet. So I picked up an SD card and loaded it into the sleepyhead software ,but was wondering if sleepy head fully supports the Resmed auto10 apap. It did recognize it and gave me some good info but I did not see any wave form charts it's all bar graph. Do I need to use rescan. Also my sleep last nite was pretty rough as I kept having my face itching or being irritated or fluid getting in mask or air in my eyes. Unfortunately I suffer from a disease(sjogrens) that causes extreme eye and mouth dryness so I'm pretty jacked up by any air movement. Even going to the store causes severe pain.
I do have eye shields that I use which helps a lot , so my report off the machine said ahi 7.2 but on sleepyhead the number was much lower. Am I missing something , can u please tell me what chart to post so I can have you guys give me an idea of any changes that might be beneficial.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok just found out my cpap supplier is a huge ripoff, I paid more from them with my insurance paying 70% than from the suppliers listed here ,,lesson learned
Post Reply Post Reply
It will record detailed data onto the SD card when it is in the machine overnight. Other than that, putting the card in and then taking it out, will only have limited data on it.
New users would download of the sd to sleepyhead nearly everyday, to see what is happening. The machine will save the last 7 days of full flow data and delete the 8th. So you need to download to sleepyhead once a week to have a full library of data.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Ic, I’m just so anxious to be able to do something about it, I wanna try to get better as soon as possible. Thanks for the knowledge Ajack.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 282 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Another Newb Help/Oscar Post Gathermewool 9 16,476 02-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Gathermewool
  Newb with Questions itchy365 15 1,769 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Resmed Auto10, Eson2 - to N20 mask - thoughts? DruiD 8 2,059 02-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Another Newb... First Night DreamBreather 16 2,562 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: DreamBreather
  Newb looking for support Emolpi123 13 2,717 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Newb Brisbane Hose Head BigWillyAus 10 2,601 10-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Last Post: BigWillyAus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.