Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

odd smell from mask/machine--help!
RE: odd smell from mask/machine--help!
O.K. I've solved it, I think. The whole problem was funny because I wouldn't smell anything when I turned on the hose--so nothing odd was coming through the hose, seemingly. But when I put on the nasal pillow I would smell something. 

Well--I started using a new prescription nasal spray for spring allergies. I would use it before sleep. I would also usually find a spot of blood on the nasal pillows in the morning. I think that the odor of/from the spray has bonded a bit with the pillows.

so, color me embarrassed! sorry for the kerfuffle; maybe someone else as dumb as me can learn from this in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 02:34 PM)hegel Wrote: O.K. I've solved it, I think. The whole problem was funny because I wouldn't smell anything when I turned on the hose--so nothing odd was coming through the hose, seemingly. But when I put on the nasal pillow I would smell something. 

Well--I started using a new prescription nasal spray for spring allergies. I would use it before sleep. I would also usually find a spot of blood on the nasal pillows in the morning. I think that the odor of/from the spray has bonded a bit with the pillows.

so, color me embarrassed! sorry for the kerfuffle; maybe someone else as dumb as me can learn from this in the future.

send me a coffee coupon and you're forgiven...

Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 03:18 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 02:34 PM)hegel Wrote: O.K. I've solved it, I think. The whole problem was funny because I wouldn't smell anything when I turned on the hose--so nothing odd was coming through the hose, seemingly. But when I put on the nasal pillow I would smell something. 

send me a coffee coupon and you're forgiven...

Laugh-a-lot

I was just waiting for you or Walla Walla to comment Too-funny

So glad you didn't disappoint me Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
like Did it arrive in the AB office yet?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 04:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: like Did it arrive in the AB office yet?

Sorry about that Dave.  I was the mail minion today, and when I saw the coffee coupon I snarfed it down.  I was hoping for donuts, but the coffee was pretty good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK this time. I was hoping for hazelnut decaf anyway. Laugh-a-lot

Does any see the real irony here? An apnea site that involves sleeping talking about a drink that keeps us awake. like

OK hijacker Dave is off to get a coffee...
Post Reply Post Reply
Im wondering if the smell stays with you during the day. I’ve had this problem for several weeks-_its a slightly acrid smell, mildly similar to burnt popcorn, and I smell it all day. Did you find the source of your odor? Ive never used the humidifier, so that’s not new. I have used a soclean as long as Ive had the machine (five years)
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with resmed airsense 10 unit, but oil turned up in the humidifier reservoir. When it was empty one morning I found the residue on the bottom of the chamber. Very light like machine lubricant. That was about a year ago, but occasionally I still get the odor of heated/burning oil. My device provider says impossible because no moving parts, but if the unit has any kind of fan there are moving parts and they have to be lubricated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,207 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 372 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.