Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ongoing chest pain
ongoing chest pain
Hi,

I've been using a CPAP (Resmed Airsense 11 with Resmed Airfit N30i mask since early June of this year, so for almost 3 months.  It's working great, I'm having on avg. less than one event per hour and I feel much better than I have in years in terms of energy, lack of tiredness during the day, etc.

An issue I've had since the beginning, though, is chest pain.  It's not my heart or lungs, I've had those checked out, and it's actually more a bit behind my sternum, not radiating out to the sides at all.  It only happens after about 6.5 - 7 hours of sleep.  For example, if I go to bed at 11pm and wake up briefly at 2am or even at 5am - 6am, there's no pain.  But when I wake up at 7, it hurts.  The pain isn't severe, but it's bad enough that I can't go back to sleep. It goes away in 10 - 15 minutes.

My dr. isn't being at all helpful.  She says that since it's an automatic CPAP with a range (mine is set at min 4, max 16, and on average is in the 10 - 12 range each night) that lowering the pressure as I've seen advised here wouldn't make a difference and she's offered no solution nor seemingly any interest in trying to figure out what's wrong.  Yes- I'm looking for a new dr.

A doctor (internist) friend of mine speculated that perhaps the CPAP was aggravating acid reflux, though i've never had that before, but then said if it was acid reflux, it wouldn't go away in 10 - 15 minutes and so doesn't think it's that.

This is more annoying than anything as getting up at 7 is fine and the pain is tolerable for the short time I have it.  But I do want to find the cause and eliminate it.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before?  And if so, any thoughts on what it could be and/or how to resolve it?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ongoing chest pain
Aerophagia can manifest as chest or back pain. Do you feel a need to burp or belch in the morning? Have you tried gasX or similar to help distribute stomach gas?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't feel the need to burp or belch in the am. I don't have any other listed symptoms of aerophagia and am fairly sure I keep my mouth when I sleep (my mouth is never dry the 2 - 3 times I wake up at night or in the morning, but I'm in no way certain. I don't know what GasX is, but I'll look into it and will try to learn more about aerophagia. I did try Mylanta which didn't help. I'm trying Pepcid (on a drs. advice, but not my sleep dr.) tonight. Is GasX similar to an antacid, or is it something different?

Thanks for your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the symptoms you described are actually closer to heartburn which suggests an antacid like Mylanta. I think I used Prilosec (omeprazole) when I experienced it, and got good relief. Maybe that is a better solution. GasX is more for injected air or digestive tract gas production. Omeprazole has good efficacy and works to decrease stomach acid production rather than neutralize it like Mylanta.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 129 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,147 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 217 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 374 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 450 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Ongoing issues with central apneas - seeking help with data analysis Tropicalhammock777 2 453 09-13-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Tropicalhammock777
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 516 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.