Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

out of compliance because of not getting much sleep
out of compliance because of not getting much sleep
My wife’s DME is telling her she needs to pay $3000 for her aircurve 10 of return it because she’s out of compliance. 

She’s only getting 5-6 hours of sleep per night most days. Obviously that’s not ideal, but that’s what’s happening. She usually wears the mask for at least 3/4 of the night. 

After getting help with the settings here, her AHI is almost zero, but I guess that’s not a consideration when they expect her to wear it 6 hours per night and she’s not. 

She has an appointment with her sleep doctor next week, so she can probably get another trial period, but aside from the obvious “sleep more” is there any advice you can offer here? 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: out of compliance because of not getting much sleep
I believe compliance usually means 21 out of 30 days wearing it with a minimum of exactly 4+ hours per night.  If she was doing what you said, she would meet compliance requirements.  it must be less than this.  What is making her not wear it the remaining 25% of the night? That kind of defeats the purpose of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I thought it was 4 hours, too, but according to OSCAR, her average hours since the compliance period started comes to 4:07. She's wearing it for some amount of time roughly 6 days per week. At first it wasn't every day, and even in January she had 3 nights without it, but this month so far she's used it every night. If her compliance period started the day she got it rather than the day she met with the MSC person (after they stopped all the back and forth nonsense about her prescription being wrong and needing an ASV because someone at the DME got confused by a doctor's extra note on her script), then it comes to 3:57 average, since there was a nearly 3 week period in there where she stopped using it even though I showed her the reports proving that it was helping -- because "you're not a doctor" and she was "not going to wear it when the DME says it's the wrong one". /facepalm

She says she takes it off because at some point in the night she turns to sleep on her side and it leaks and annoys her and she's not awake enough to deal with it. This is the first I've heard that it leaks and she's going to try the p30i instead of the n30i tonight to see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hour are hours on. Put it on and read a book or at watch TV 3 hours a night. They will all count towards complacency.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
narual,

Here is the official compliance requirement used by Medicare and most insurances (unless it's changed).

Compliance:
Medicare requires that a patient use CPAP for a minimum of 4 hours per night on 70% of nights (21 nights) during a 30-day consecutive period any time in the first three months of use.

Patient must also have a face to face appointment with their doctor any time after the first 30 days, but before the 90 days expires.

As stated prior, have your wife use it an hour or so before bed sitting up reading or watching TV.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2023, 11:58 PM)narual Wrote: Yeah, I thought it was 4 hours, too, but according to OSCAR, her average hours since the compliance period started comes to 4:07. 

Each day is a day of compliance and the average means she is very likely above or below half the time.  You need 70% of a 30 day period (21 days) to be greater than 4 hours.  It's not hard to get by using the machine while reading or watching TV as well as sleep.  That is a really nice machine to lose over noncompliance!!

MAYBE you can post an Oscar chart of her therapy, and we could identify the problem, make the therapy more comfortable and get her back on track?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.