Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

respironics vs resmed for plm induced flow limitations
RE: respironics vs resmed for plm induced flow limitations
I doubt my experience with plm is the only way it presents but I have not been able to determine that cpap of any stripe affects it one way or another. having said that, you're surmise that your plm might have eased because you're not fighting as much to exhale with epr has a common sense appeal to it.

some evenings I'm aware of restless legs while awake but I'm oblivious to my sleeping plm so I'm curious how you know your plm calmed down. as far as I know, audio, video, or witness reports are the only means other than a polysomnogram. or maybe you're experiencing less fragmented sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sheepless.  I didn't want to hijack you thread.  You are probably correct that I can't really tell while asleep.  My wife reports that I am not thrashing as much as pre cpap, but the Clonazepam I have been prescribed probably helps the most.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you ever thought of trying melatonin to reset you circadian rythym or help with plm?  I have seen a couple of small studies showing positive results.  One study showed it could take a few months.
Post Reply Post Reply
you're not hijacking as far as I'm concerned, kevrx. nobody's responded to my title question anyway. I agree the clonazapam is probably why you sleep better with less movement/thrashing; and I have to believe breathing better with pap let's us sleep more calmly as well. I have not tried melatonin. for plm I've been prescribed 4 mg ropinirole with partial relief. interesting you mention circadian rythym. since spring (in the U.S.) and the stay home stuff began, I've more or less unconsciously slipped into rising and retiring with the sun. idk if that's all there is to circadian rythym but I'm good in that respect, at least.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still don't understand what this feature is doing and how it overcomes FL's (at least in my case).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2020, 03:07 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Sheepless you're absolutely correct!  I checked my AS10 (SW 567-0306) and it's no longer there.  The S9 had this mode and I thought it was carried over to the AS10.

I still don't understand what this feature is doing and how it overcomes FL's (at least in my case).
Post Reply Post Reply
The feature that we are talking about determines how fast the Resmed increases the pressure from EPAP back to IPAP when you have the EPR turned on. Normal, would be a gradual increase to match one's breathing. Fast, jumps from the EPAP pressure immediately to the IPAP. The latter is like going from the CPAP being off to wide open instantly.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2020, 07:46 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The feature that we are talking about determines how fast the Resmed increases the pressure from EPAP back to IPAP when you have the EPR turned on.  Normal, would be a gradual increase to match one's breathing.  Fast, jumps from the EPAP pressure immediately to the IPAP. The latter is like going from the CPAP being off to wide open instantly.

Right. This reminds me the SoftPAP mode 3 in Prisma 20A whereas during inspiration, the machine provides "Set pressure with supplementary pressure support". Any guess why ResMed removed it? and what type of pressure increase was implemented in Autoset 10? In my personal case, both features (In S9 and Prisma 20A) are very beneficial.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR function is the pressure difference on the Resmed and is still there. What I was describing was the Fast and Normal settings of the ramp of which the Resmed changes pressure between the two.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 82 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 255 5 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,610 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.