Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with settings after BiPAP Titration
Help with settings after BiPAP Titration
I'm currently on my second try with CPAP and have been using it for about 2 months. My first round of CPAP was a few years ago and they recommended BiPAP based on my results but couldn't fulfill the order because of recalls so I sent back the CPAP at the time and hadn't tried again until recently.

On the MyAir app, I can see my data is really inconsistent. Anywhere on average from less than 1 events per hour up to 15+. I have nights where my AHI is less than 5 but last week over the course of 3 nights, I went from 15.4 AHI one night to 0.9 the next night and then back to 7.8 the next night.

The doctor who ordered my CPAP couldn't treat complex sleep apnea so they referred me to a doctor who ordered a BiPAP titration. I met with him for the results and he told me that there wasn't much difference between BiPAP titration and the CPAP results from my machine. He said that since my results were "under 5" that I was meeting the goal of therapy and a BiPAP wouldn't be helpful. He said that a BiPAP titration with backup rate could get my AHI down to below 1 but he said that "there's not much of a difference between 3.5 AHI and 0.9 AHI" and he said it wouldn't be worth the effort to do another titration for that. His recommendation was a prescription for stimulants to take during the day and to see me again in 2-3 months. I asked him if my current CPAP settings (7 - 10) are as good as it gets for me based on what he's saying and he agreed and said 9-10 is the ideal pressure for me.

Ultimately I just don't feel well rested when I wake up and I don't like the idea of having to use stimulants to get through the day. I feel a big difference when I do have good nights with low AHI and I felt that way waking up after the BiPAP titration. I'm confused as to why this doctor would recommend against something that would lower my AHI to near zero? I assumed the practical goal (beyond the bare minimum insurance requirements) is for me to get as close to zero to put me closer to normal health? I have a hard time believing that such drastic swings in my AHI are "as good as it gets" for me.

I'm in my early 30's having dealt with some form of apnea for almost 10 years and I'm trying hard right now to treat this fully to avoid putting any more stress on my body and heart. I'm considering not returning to this doctor but I'm also not sure what I should do from here. Thanks in advance for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with settings after BiPAP Titration
The doc recommended stimulants? What's with that?

I can't help with settings, but I know from experience on this board that it really helps if you list your exact machine in your account, so it shows up on your posts. Then, download Oscar, use an SD card, get the readings and post them here in the standard layout (everyone here uses a standard format so all posters understand the charts). If you look at some other settings threads, you will get the idea.

You find Oscar in the menu, and layout maybe in the Wiki (I forget).

Then, it will be easier to get you some help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, the discussion place for Apnea and how doctors don't know how to treat you or Apnea.

Several years ago I moved from CPAP to BPAP because I told the doctor CPAP wasn't comfortable. Onto BPAP with a rather useless titration. BPAP wasn't my answer either, but that's another story.

Here's the thing, it's your therapy, within medical guidelines, you decide what's acceptable or not. If doc doesn't treat you as you expect, fire and replace. They work for you.

Yes OSCAR is going to be much more helpful than MyAir. It's free and shows lots of therapy data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2024, 11:07 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: The doc recommended stimulants? What's with that?

I can't help with settings, but I know from experience on this board that it really helps if you list your exact machine in your account, so it shows up on your posts. Then, download Oscar, use an SD card, get the readings and post them here in the standard layout (everyone here uses a standard format so all posters understand the charts). If you look at some other settings threads, you will get the idea.

You find Oscar in the menu, and layout maybe in the Wiki (I forget).

Then, it will be easier to get you some help.

Thanks for the info, my CPAP didn't come with an SD card so it looks like I'll need to take some time to collect that data going forward with a new SD card and then post it here.

He recommended stimulants after asking me if I was tired during the day. I'm most definitely tired throughout the day but I'm not getting well rested sleep and I usually wake up for the day anywhere between 4am and 6am most days (a good day for me is sleeping until 7-8am) so I don't feel like a stimulant is going to treat any part of my root causes.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I took stimulants during the day, they might keep me awake, but I think I'd never get rid of the jitters by night time and I wouldn't be able to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
jd, could you upgrade to OSCAR software and post some charts so we know what's going on?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 4 58 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,146 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 162 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 157 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 152 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 286 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.