Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep aids
sleep aids
I had undiagnosed apnea for about 15 years and deal with anxiety . With the combination of both sleep was poor and coped with melatonin . Once I got diagnosed with sleep apnea , read melatonin can make apnea worst . So I stopped taking it before starting cpap therapy .

As of right now I wake up consistently 3 to 4 hours . I did start a therapy thread and Opal Rose has helped to dial my cpap machine in which is greatly appreciated ! I figure it is either my body adjusting to cpap or anxiety is interrupting my sleep . 

So my question is does anyone use Sleep aids either prescribed by or something from the pharmacy such as melatonin or nytol etc.. ?
Or is it best to totally steer clear of these things with apnea ?

My goal is to keep plugging away and see if my body adjusts to everything , but a full nights sleep would be awesome . Not a long term plan . 

Wanted to ask
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep aids
How long since you stopped taking the sleep aid(s)?
You wake 1 or two times and can go back to sleep? Or are you done at 3- hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sle2ep aids
I stopped taking last week in December and slowly tapered off . Was done taking sleep aids end of second week in January , clean and sober hahaha  well not really funny but was big to get off of them.  I don't want to get into that again . But odd time would be nice. 

Usally I sleep till 130 or 230 , sometimes get a drink if water maybe use washroom . Breaking the habit too of multiple washroom breaks at night before I was diagnosed.   I then go back to sleep till 4 or 430 . If I wake up at that time then look at clock and go back to sleep pretty quick. 

Twice I've slept through till 4am . But other than that I wake up .  Opal Rose has helped with setting s and pretty sure not cpap machine settings
Post Reply Post Reply
I went down that rabbit hole with sleep aids and nothing worked. With over the counter meds or even prescription, the body adjust and the meds lose their potency with in a few weeks.

I cut out all meds like that, watch what I eat and drink and exercise daily. It’s a routine you need to get in. It took me a while, but now I’m sleeping much better, eyes are not tired and heavy. 

The body needs some physical work, sitting on the couch or your easy chair will get you no where.

Good luck and be strong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it defff is a rabbit hole  for sure which I want to avoid . Thanks for your responses
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are only waking up once or twice perhaps you will just get more used to CPAP and it will lessen over time. Doesn't seem that bad since you can get back to sleep and sleep several more hours. I'd say just keep trying and avoid things that might wake you up the first time, like don't drink anything, especially anything with caffeine for a few hours before bedtime. That will reduce the need to use the washroom as well as let you get a deeper state of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding ! I am not driving caffeine or large amounts of water.  

Thinking like you and have to get used to cpap . I do get up to use the washroom the 1st time I wake up but feel it's more so habit .  I'd wake up from apnea  events . Walk around use the washroom as I had to pee . Where as now go to the washroom as I'm awake and and a routine .

Last night I woke up at my usual time and instead of getting up  I looked at my clock and went back to sleep with in 5 min
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been taking Costco's over-the-counter Sleep Aids for several years now. I'm 68 and it can be troublesome @ times getting to sleep at night. 

They seem to work well for me and don't feel drugged when I wake up for the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have  some trouble sleeping without taking something, and for the past few years have settled on extended release melatonin, 5 mg. I can't get anything near a goo night's sleep without it.  It doesn't bother my AHI results--at the moment my 1 year average is 0.53.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have wondered about sleep aids.  My sleep sounds like yours, with and without therapy.  My doctor recently prescribed Clonazepam and it doesn't work AT ALL. Neither did Melatonin.  I really don't want anything stronger, but I might ask the doc anyway, just to see what he says.

Advisors are trying to get my machine settings optimal but I know I don't lead the most healthy lifestyle.  If I could get some decent sleep maybe I could feel I could use the gym membership my insurance provides.  But it could also be a "catch-22", go to the gym and slowly work out little by little for as much as I can stand and work my way up to the benefits.

Sigh.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 251 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,425 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,415 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 832 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,061 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 699 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.