Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study question
sleep study question
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]
...............................................................................................
tara wrote:
i have been having headaches and my general physician is sending me to a sleep center to do an overnight sleep study because of several other factors he thinks i have sleep apnea i was just wandering if anyone can tell me about the overnight stay and what it is like

...............................................................................................
ConnCarl wrote:
The specifics of your study will depend upon the practices and preferences of the sleep clinic, and to a lesser extent, of the referring physician and your insurance provider or HMO.

You may be scheduled for a two-night study, where your sleep patterns are monitored for one night. Should CPAP therapy be appropriate, there would be a second all-night session for CPAP pressure adjustment, or "titration", as it is known in the medical profession.

In most parts of the country, however, the "split study" has displaced the two-night study for the majority of sleep centers. The subject spends a few hours sleeping and CPAP, if appropriate, is used for the remainder of the study.

Typically, you can expect to arrive at the sleep center sometime between 8:00 and 10:00 PM. A therapist will usually explain what to expect, and take a brief history of your sleep habits. They will be likely to ask if you've had any caffiene or taken any drugs the day of the study. Some folks find it very difficult to fall asleep in a sleep center. Even a small amount of caffiene can make the problem much worse, so try not to have any the day of the study and avoid naps if at all possible.

When the history is complete, the technician will leave the room and ask you to change into your bedclothes.

Next you will have a series of electrodes attached to your head, arms, legs, and chest. The wires are bundled together and connected to a stand near the bed, and the technician will explain how to take the bundle of wires with you, should you need to use the bathroom during the night.

You can usually read a book or watch television until you're ready to sleep. After that, there's not much to it. You just sleep. If it's a split study, and you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, the technician will wake you up at some point and strap a mask onto your face. Then you'll go back to sleep while they adjust your pressure to find out what setting works best for you.

In the morning, you will often have the ability to shower before changing into your street clothes if you wish. The sleep technician may give you a brief outline of the results of your study, but don't count on it. They are not doctors and hence are very wary about sharing any information with you that might be mistaken for a firm diagnosis.

Some labs will provide you with breakfast before sending you on your way. The doctor will receive a copy of the report and should discuss the results with you right away. If the study indicates severe sleep apnea that responds well to CPAP therapy, a good doctor and/or sleep lab will have a DME provider call you within a day or so to make an appointment to set up your new CPAP machine and "get the ball rolling" for your treatment.

Hope this helps! Carl
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." - Superchicken
............................................................................................

tara wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for Now if only they have an in house 3 year old at the center to climb in bed with me I will be able to sleep. LOL Again, thanks.

TARA
...........................................................................................
ConnCarl wrote:
You're welcome, Tara. Good luck!

Carl
.........................................................................................
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.