Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleep study(sorry long post)
sleep study(sorry long post)
So, probably fifteen years ago I had an in lab sleep study done. Was prescribed a cpap. A Respironics Remstar pro 2. I have used it on and off. not good I know. So the last like the last month or so I have been using it. I had an appointment appointment with a pulmonary doctor. She said its ok to use it, but has ordered an at home sleep study, but the soonest they can schedule it is December 21st, with a follow up January 4th. So I thought I'd do a watchpat test(may not have insurance after the first of the year, as my place of employment is closed due to covid). I did not sleep well at all. Test results say I had a pAHI of 2.2, so they told me I don't have sleep Apnea and don't meet the requirements for a script for a new machine. I have not lost a lot of weight, or anything that I can think of that would cure the sleep apnea the sleep lab must have seen to recommend a cpap to start with(doctor tried to get results from first study, were lost when sleep clinic went digital). I do notice that I sleep better with it, then without. Its amazing the newer style masks have made it so much more pleasant to sleep with. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this? Should I just calm down and do the at home test the doctor ordered, order another watchpat or similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleep study(sorry long post)
Welcome to Apnea Board. You did have an active script for sleep apnea at one time. Apnea does not normally take care of itself. I do realize if you lost a lot of weight, that would probably lower AHI but not reduce it to a level no PAP is needed, but you indicate that didn't happen. Due to the length of time involved, I'm assuming quite a few years as Remstar Pro 2 is quite outdated now. Given this, I'd go with the home sleep study to at least get a reasonably accurate AHI score. If you decide to go with the test, get your detailed copy of the results. HIPAA permits you to get your own copy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your Philips Remstar Pro is pretty old, and may not have had a SD card to support data analysis. If it was a System One, or Dreamstation we can look at the data. Something like the M-series or even older legacy machines will not. WatchPat tests are really awful, and I have seen a lot of sleep disordered breathing passed as okay on that test. It would help to see the full results including the pRDI. Not only are newer masks better, but newer machine and especially the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset are a world apart form your old Philips CPAP Pro2. It actually provides bilevel (BiPAP) pressure with different inhale and exhale pressure. You have never experienced anything like it. If you think you might be more comfortable with this therapy, retain your prescription so things are easier, but consider buying out-of-pocket on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. You can buy for less than your deductibles and end up with better stuff. It would be great to learn more about your test and past CPAP experience, but I encourage you to push for continued therapy, because your last machine was frankly a P.O.S.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do hope to get a new machine soon, I have been looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johnejust look on craigs list in your area often machines are availiable cheaply, you need a Resmed Autoset 10
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 111 31 minutes ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 3 88 3 hours ago
Last Post: sabletaurus
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,338 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 255 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 205 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.