Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] FYSETC SD Wifi - Possible FlashAir Replacement
RE: [split] FYSETC SD Wifi - Possible FlashAir Replacement
Here is the update. . .

I found my SD card extender and experienced the same interference problem with the selector switch in its slot, just like the AS10's.  Modifying this was basically the same.  Since you are modifying the slot's enclosure shell, you are far enough away for the important stuff, so messing up is very hard to do.  The upside of using the extender cable is it will work on both the A10 and S9 series without modifying their SD slot.  Also, if I screwed up, I've only lost $5 on the cable.   I did notice that the micro SD card needed to be completely configured for the particular CPAP prior to using it in the FYSETC card.  It appears that the power draw of the CPAP trying to write to the card and supply power to the Wi-Fi initialization meets with a write error.   Thanks to another member's post about using an extended cable, I had better results when powering down the CPAP completely prior to inserting the cable and card, then power up.  Also, it takes about 1 minute to initialize and establish the Wi-Fi connection.

Setting a static IP - An email to FYSETC support returned a fast reply with the information for setting the IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS values.  The downside is this will require the user to have the knowledge on how to insert the code patch in the main code and re-flash the ESP8266.   I have/had the brilliant idea of making them user defined by including these parameters in the SETUP.INI file and corresponding firmware code.  After several moments of grandeur, I realized that for this idea to be of any use, the ESP8266 would still have to be re-flashed with this new code. - Bummer!   The upside is this would only have to be done once.   I'm still playing with the idea, just not as aggressively.

The Flashing LED - This is again a firmware settable parameter and can be turned off.

Wi-Fi signal strength - A lot stronger than the FlashAir.

Bottom line: This card can be used as a FlashAir replacement, but it is a lot more complex to set up.   Any existing FlashAir download software apps will not work with this device and will require using rsync for remote backup.

I think I have come to a pause on this project.  If anyone has any questions or ideas,  I'm all ears.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just recently caught wind of this thread.  Pretty interesting.  Because I'm not overwhelmed with projects (umm, I lie) I ordered a unit from Aliexpress, and a 10cm SD card extender that I can hack.  Bought them from aliexpress, simply because it's quite a bit cheaper.  The penalty is to wait a while.  I don't "need" this, so I'll wait.

These modules look like one could make one's own.  I see an ESP8266, a usb socket and a male sd card "emulator" and not a lot of extra stuff.  The 8266 are a whopping $1 each on aliexpress in low quantities.  I'm tempted to try to design a slightly longer SD mechanical interface.  Might even put in a simple co-processor so the interfacing wouldn't be as painful.  I'm just dreaming here, but this seems like a pretty neat thing.

I don't know anything about ESP8266 yet, but I have done a bit of arduino stuff, especially with M0 and M4 chips.  Might be fun to try something here.

For this unit Is the idea to locally log on microSD and be able to remote upload?

Do you think something could be made to reliably spool to a remote server?  (No local SD on the PAP, but to the PAP is looks like there is an SD.)  RPI's are cheap enough that one could use one as a apnea file server.  To reduce SD related issues one could use a baby disk on it rather than the usual slow SD card.  I found an 120GB SSD for $20 for my RPI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do I understand it right that you are dreaming of running OSCAR right on the PAP? Together with OS, PAP-data, OSCAR-data+backups, etc.? Fun!
But beware... It could all be over within a few years when the manufacturers abandon from SD-cards...
Sorry if I disappoint you in your enthusiasm...
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Goodness, no Arie!  I was only thinking of having remote storage for the PAP.  So effectively making a virtual SD card for the PAP.  Physically the virtual SD card would be on an SSD on say an RPI.  I certainly don't leave my regular computer on all night, but don't mind a lower power device like an RPI being on.  I have an RPI2 print server, and RPI2 sprinkler controller, an RPI3 pihole, why not an RPIx virtual SD card?

The sender would be some sort of ESP8266 thing plugged into the PAP.  Maybe I can find something lower power.  Or put bigger caps on the PCB...  Definitely don't want to modify my PAP machine.

It will be a sad day when the PAP manufacturers eliminate SD card writers.  I'm surprised they haven't yet.  We at AB need to think about what we can do if that happens...
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received mine and it looks different:
[attachment=30756][attachment=30757]
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks exactly like mine. Where do you think it appears different? Mine just looks faster! Big Grin

Also, I did the split and deleted your request for this.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2021, 04:44 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Here is the update. . .

I found my SD card extender and experienced the same interference problem with the selector switch in its slot, just like the AS10's.  Modifying this was basically the same.  Since you are modifying the slot's enclosure shell, you are far enough away for the important stuff, so messing up is very hard to do.  The upside of using the extender cable is it will work on both the A10 and S9 series without modifying their SD slot.  Also, if I screwed up, I've only lost $5 on the cable.   

What is the Brand & model of your SD extender cable?  I tried one, and it worked for a few days, then failed.  Would be good if I can try again.

Setting a static IP - An email to FYSETC support returned a fast reply with the information for setting the IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS values.  The downside is this will require the user to have the knowledge on how to insert the code patch in the main code and re-flash the ESP8266.   I have/had the brilliant idea of making them user defined by including these parameters in the SETUP.INI file and corresponding firmware code.  After several moments of grandeur, I realized that for this idea to be of any use, the ESP8266 would still have to be re-flashed with this new code. - Bummer!   The upside is this would only have to be done once.   I'm still playing with the idea, just not as aggressively.

What parameters already exist in the SETUP.INI file?  Did FYSETC seem interested in adding support for static IP settings?

The Flashing LED - This is again a firmware settable parameter and can be turned off.

Is the flashing LED setting another item requiring the Arduino IDE and firmware?

Wi-Fi signal strength - A lot stronger than the FlashAir.

Do you have any estimate of the Wifi signal range?

Bottom line: This card can be used as a FlashAir replacement, but it is a lot more complex to set up.   Any existing FlashAir download software apps will not work with this device and will require using rsync for remote backup.

I think I have come to a pause on this project.  If anyone has any questions or ideas,  I'm all ears.

- Red

Hi Red,
I'm quite interested in this product.  I never liked the Flashair product, as one of it's drawbacks was to lose it's configuration if the PAP was powered off, and then the price started to escalate.  Do you know if this device stays configured thru a poweroff?  I put a few other questions in your post above.

Do you feel able to do a step-by-step for those less technical at some point?

Thanks for the work you have invested in this to date - it is really appreciated.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
becker44a - I've listed my responses in the order you had asked them.

1. The SD extender is from Amazon and is listed as, "Electop SD to SD Card Extension Cable SD Extender".  It is a "2-fer",  2-cables for $10.99.

2. SETUP.INI file parameters: SSID and password only.

3. Flashing LED:  It is in the open source code.  In order to change it, requires modifying the code and flashing it on to the ESP8266 (which is really a generic ESP8285).

Here is the code that controls it.
Code:
File: ESPWebDAV.ino
 // blink
 statusBlink();
}

// ------------------------
void blink()    {
    LED_ON;
    delay(100);
    LED_OFF;
    delay(400);
}

void errorBlink()    {
    for(int i = 0; i < 100; i++)    {
        LED_ON;
        delay(50);
        LED_OFF;
        delay(50);
    }
}

void statusBlink() {
 static unsigned long time = 0;
 if(millis() > time + 1000 ) {
   if(network.isConnecting()) {
     LED_OFF;
   }
   else if(network.isConnected()) {
     LED_ON;
         delay(50);
         LED_OFF;
   }
   else {
     LED_ON;
   }
   time = millis();
 }

// SPI bus not ready
    //if(millis() < spiBlockoutTime)
    //    blink();
}

4. No signal range estimate.

Stuff you didn't ask:
Here are the links for the free Arduino IDE and the source code.
Arduino:  https://www.arduino.cc/en/software
FYSETC source code: https://github.com/FYSETC/ESPWebDAV

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Red,
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
Does the FYSETC device require a Micro SD card for storage?
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it requires that you supply your own micro SD card. Finding a 32 GB or less is starting to be a challenge. While there are still cards to be had, the ranks are thinning out. I went back and looked at the 2 pack I just purchased on Amazon, and it was already out of stock. The only 32 GB cards from that supplier was a pack of five.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [EzShare SDcard wifi] Script to autodownload biorn 188 26,146 04-15-2024, 09:19 PM
Last Post: nohack007
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 177 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Flashair - Dreamstation -> Airsense 11 Autoset todivefor 14 752 02-28-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  WiFi SD Card for AirSense and OSCAR Stillglade 1 733 01-08-2024, 03:00 PM
  Created a program to support Wifi SD card for Resmed and all other devices narual 13 2,407 12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: JerryE
  FlashPAP - FlashAir WiFi SD card utility TiredToo 296 95,918 10-05-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: olddog27
  wifi EzShare SD Card for Windows 11 Home Greg1582378 3 914 09-23-2023, 03:47 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.