Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

update on the issue I've been having
update on the issue I've been having
I am a ResMed 11 user and I've been having problems lately where I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling a sudden STRONG gust of air rushing into my airways. This would freak me out and wake me up and I would feel a bit of tenderness on my left lung/chest afterwards. 

After a few nights, I started getting a bit of anxiety as the air ramps up and became unable to sleep with the cpap on ….I have used this for 5 months, and this just happened recently.

My tech believes it's because I am not adjusting to the ramp up of pressure (7 to 13) and has now increased the lower end to 9-13... However, this is not helping. 

This doesn't happen every night.

I attached my record of last night. The event happened at around 0628... Please disregard everything after 0630 as I was already away and was just trying to sleep on and off. 

Can you guys please help me take a look? 

(note: i do have some heart issue... and it's not great if it freaks me out like this)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: update on the issue I've been having
I noticed an OSA event around that time....

Could it be that I was just having really a bad apnea episode that closed my throat despite my machine's current pressure? And when the machine finally managed to clear that, the air just rushed into my lungs?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Try ramp off. There really isn't that much
Get a TALL glass of water and a straw. Insert the straw and blow bubbles. Assuming 8 inches of depth that is the maximum pressure your machine produces

Set EPR= 3 to better manage your flow limits which are driving your pressures.

Please repost after trying this
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart shows that you had an obstructive apnea at 06:25 which caused machine pressure to increase by 1-2 cm, but still in the same range as you had experienced earlier in the night. This event is also accompanied by a leak and a snore. There is not a surge in flow other than the leak, but that could be perceived as a rush of air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's frustrating.... I guess it was my body that made a big deal out of a little bit of pressure. When it woke me up, it really felt like something strong. Problem is that each time this happened, it was SHOCKING to me and my chest / lung hurts a little bit afterward and would not be able to sleep afterward. I have some heart problem, so I am just a bit afraid.  

I will try to calm myself down from now on...
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any suggestion on what setting might be able to help? Should get the tech to increase the pressure (against the OSA)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wilsonf, you had only the one OA event all night, so if you want to eliminate the possibility of any increase in pressure, just set the minimum and maximum pressure to the same value. Your median pressure is 10.0 and the 95% is just over 12.2, so that is your range. I suggest setting minimum and maximum to 10.0, using your current EPR at 3. This ensures you will have stable, unchanging pressure which may help you to avoid the panic reflex due to a perception of higher pressure. A fixed pressure of 9.0 could also e sufficient as pressure seems to rise on incidents of increased flow limit and leaks. Either one should be an effective pressure for you. Nothing wrong with fixed pressure when someone is apparently sensitive to pressure changes, and it should give you some peace of mind.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 657 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 182 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 363 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.