Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

vasomotor rhinitis with cpap
Angry 
vasomotor rhinitis with cpap
That means nose membranes swell up and cause headaches. Need to take sick days off. Believe the pressure of air is the culprit. This condition can be set off by numerous things like perfume, cold, weird smells etc.  If there is anybody dealing with this situation please let me know.  Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: vasomotor rhinitis with cpap
If you think a lower pressure might help, there are a couple things you might try. First, nasal pillows really focus pressure to the nostrils and a nasal mask or full face might distribute your pressure. I have no idea if the cup-like shape of the Brevida mask might affect this compared to more open styles. You don't say what machine you are using, but it seems you are using fixed CPAP pressure. An auto CPAP machine would allow you to use lower pressures, and would only increase pressure as needed. Another option would be bilevel with lower exhale pressure and higher inhale pressure would potentially give you significant pressure relief. Given your complaint an argument might be made the change or upgrade is medically necessary. Finally, it seems humidity settings are an important component to avoiding this problem. I assume you have tried various settings.

It would help to know the actual model of Resmed you are using. The series are S8, S9 and Airsense 10, and the models are CPAP, Escape, Elite and Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and TY. Yes resmed 10 autoset. Just returned from the resp. therapist office. She gave me a second mask to use. Phillips--sits under the nose. But she told me first to coat inside of nose with vaseline and use a saline AYR nasal spray in the day. Use the Brevida first with the coating the nose  before going to the Phillips under the nose. . 

I am using the brevida nasal pillows mask right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you seen an ENT doctor?  That seems like the logical place to start.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would strongly urge you to disregard the Vaseline advise. If you have physical irritation, the Lasinoh creme is used by some members. I feel any greasy material put on a nasal pillow will interfere with the fit and feel. The odor and texture of petroleum jelly is just a bad idea, and if it causes a breakout, it's not going to be easy to hide. I prefer the nasal pillow washed free of even facial oils using Dawn. Your congestion does not sound like skin irritation and you should avoid adding anything to your skin or nasal pillows. Saline spray can relieve ordinary congestion, and does not have side-effects. With the Resmed Airfit P10, the headgear is more secure when the straps are together over the crown of your head, and looser as you spread the straps. It does not require a tight fit to prevent leaks. Most people usually need a larger pillow size than they or their DME thinks. If you were given small pillows, I would urge you to try the medium if you don't find them comfortable.

Since you are using the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, let's take a look at your data and see if there might be an opportunity to find a more comfortable set of pressure settings. You can download #Sleepyhead software for free and install on a Windows or Mac laptop or computer. The charts offer a wealth of information. The first two links in my signature line show you what that software looks like, how to organize charts and post them for the forum. You have an auto machine that is capable of not only producing lower pressures that will rise as needed, but it also offers exhale pressure relief. What we might suggest really depends on what your current results look like.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AMESS,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a mistake. it is not vaseline. The doc (board certified  pulmonologist and sleep dr) told me to use K-Y jelly. I coated the inside of my nose with it last night for the first time. I did NOT wake up sick today.  Yay! Smile Hopefullly I am on the right track and will not get swollen nasal membranes that cause headaches. .
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
using res med 10 auto. But have changed humidty to  7. Maybe go  higher?
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone has their own humidity needs. A setting of 7 is very high, but higher humidity is possible using manual settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] 5 Reasons to Screen & Treat OSA Patients for Rhinitis ApneaNews 0 1,114 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Connection of OSA to Rhinitis, and Sinusitis ac555 34 7,393 10-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.