Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

weird smell after removing mask?
RE: weird smell after removing mask?
Sometimes the plate that heats the water to humidify isn't working right. The machine I initially got spewed horrible odor that lasted for hours. I returned the machine the next day. My replacement machine OCCASIONALLY has a slight odor, but usually that is because I don't have enough water in the humidifier. It goes away within a minute of shutting off the machine. In NEITHER case did I smell these odors when masked up. That's what caused me to look at the workings of the humidifier.

When I was waiting to get a machine, I purchased a used S9 and it also had that slight plasticky smokey odor, but it worsened over time. Fortunately, the seller took it back. So, don't always blame yourself. The machine can be at fault. They are sturdy, but still subject to wear and tear and unseen damage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 12:37 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Sometimes the plate that heats the water to humidify isn't working right. The machine I initially got spewed horrible odor that lasted for hours. I returned the machine the next day. My replacement machine OCCASIONALLY has a slight odor, but usually that is because I don't have enough water in the humidifier. It goes away within a minute of shutting off the machine. In NEITHER case did I smell these odors when masked up. That's what caused me to look at the workings of the humidifier.

When I was waiting to get a machine, I purchased a used S9 and it also had that slight plasticky smokey odor, but it worsened over time. Fortunately, the seller took it back. So, don't always blame yourself. The machine can be at fault. They are sturdy, but still subject to wear and tear and unseen damage.

In my case I think I've verified that it is not the machine. The air to the mask smells fine and I can smell the weird smell even if I take my first breath in another end of the house.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first month or so, I would smell laundry detergent for the first few breaths. I had my wife put the same mask on a few times and she smelled baby powder. It went away after a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find CPAP clears my sinuses, so maybe your sense of smell is more acute after removing the mask.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the burning type smell but only after turning off the machine -- just before I remove my mask. I've never noticed it while it's blowing though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 05:44 AM)OpalRose Wrote: When I unmask, I smell flowers.  Not complaining.  Smile

Sounds very familiar.....I smell soap....very weird...
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL! Mine smells like burnt sugar cookies, with a slight perfume smell. I once heard that the vacuum of space smells like burnt cookies and I came here wondering if anyone had the same experience, and knew if that had anything to do with it?

Yeah! Kind of like a laundry soap smell! But mine is like that mixed with a burnt cookie smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a 6 week trial on a dream station and I did not get this sensation. Now I have a resmed I get this sensation for the first two breaths after I take the mask off. Smells like I am sniffing fragrant washing powder. Makes a lot of sense given my wife's love of fabric softener.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the idea that the nose is becoming deadened to the smell inside the mask vs. outside is only part of the issue because 1. if that's the case and the air in the mask always smelled different than the air in the room then this effect wouldn't stop happening over time, and 2. the following happened: I've had my machine forever and have replaced all the parts on it many times except for the water tray (I don't use water in my machine). Initially the air smelled strongly of ozone when I'd take the mask off in the morning but that smell faded after a relatively short period of time and never returned with the replacement of any of the parts - except just recently, after replacing the tray. Besides the breathing tube it's the only other part that has heat applied to it so that smell is likely the difference between a new water tray being heated and 'flavoring' the air all night long, and the air once you take it off. It's like that 'factory coating' burning off of kitchen appliance parts the first couple times they're used, I'd wager.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 24 2 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,804 2 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,211 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,663 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.