Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what does a bad oximeter reading look like?
what does a bad oximeter reading look like?
Assume sleep apnea, snoring, etc are present.
What is a bad oximeter reading in this case?
I tried measuring mine, and am getting readings in the range 88 to 98.
Usually the number stays below 94, often in the 90 to 92 range.
Oximeter must be good because wife and her mother have consistently high readings, 97+.
Tried sinking finger deeper, less deep, inverting it, using a different finger, numbers are about the same.
Resting pulse is around 65-69 while measuring oxygen.
Sounds like I must be rushed to an ER, no? Yet I manage to muddle through the day somehow.
What was your reading before you embarked on fighting sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what does a bad oximeter reading look like?
My Pulmonologist told me the 95 during the day is healthy, and asleep it can be a little less, like 92 to 95…
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
I am on O2 24/7.  My Dr. says less than 88 is where I don't want to for longer than 5 minutes.  My dips to 84 sometimes but he says it goes right back up so no problem.  I don't think you have a problem but ask your Dr. on your next visit if it makes you feel better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, everyone's O2 levels are lower when they're asleep than when they're awake. According to patient education material at UC San Francisco (a medical campus), this is partly because our breathing is generally somewhat reduced during sleep and partly because some of our alveoli are decommissioned during sleep.

Values in the 90s are considered fine. Occasional, short drops into the 80s are probably not a cause for worry. They may reflect a momentary problem with the position of the sensor or they may be the result of an apnea.

But I would encourage you to talk with your doctor about this, if for no other reason than to get some more authoritative reassurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
assuming you're using a recording oximeter and not spot checking. 89% or lower for a cumulative 5 minutes over a night should be grounds for supplemental o2. If CPAP corrects it to over 89% then you don't qualify.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
The arterial oxygen saturation of normal human blood is 98%.But I found inconsistent with the blood oxygen readings of day and night, I think you can wear O2ring to constantly monitor your blood oxygen readings, figure out changes occurred in which period of time.I did this before, in the night when my blood oxygen saturation is low, my oximeter vibrate to  reminded me to change the position, so that avoid me breathing disorder, I think you can give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
The new Apple Watch 6 will monitor your blood oxygen throughout the night taking your reading about every half hour, and then show it to you on your iPhone. Some people have said it’s inaccurate but I find it to be spot on with my finger oximeter.

So now the Apple Watch will do a complete monitoring of your heart rate, your VO2, blood ox and EKG. In addition it will warn you if you are in afib. I know firsthand about that, a month ago my watch went off with an alarm that I was in afib, I went to the ER, the watch was correct, I was in the hospital for three days while they did an electro cardioversion on my heart to get it back to normal rhythm.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2020, 05:27 AM)Glen e Wrote: So now the Apple Watch will do a complete monitoring of your heart rate, your VO2, blood ox and EKG. In addition it will warn you if you are in afib.

wow, an amazing story. Definitely worth looking into such modern gadgets.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO the every about half hour reading is great to spot check but it is inadequate to determine if you have a serious desats which is determined by duration at pressures below 89% for 5+ minutes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 993 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.