Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

when i wake up i have a dry mouth and glued lips
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: when i wake up i have a dry mouth and glued lips
It may be the result of mouth breathing which not only causes dry mouth but, since you are using nasal pillows, may prevent effective treatment of your apnea. More information would be helpful. I suggest you download frree OSCAR software from here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/  and post one or more daily charts as described in the links below. You may need to get an SD card if your machine doesn't have one. Any SD card up to a max capacity 32GB wil do. A 2-8 GB card will be sufficient
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many, most are awakened at some point and become aware that they have been mouth-breathing, or that air is being expelled from their open mouths as 'back-pressure'.  Some sleep right through it, even if just for ten minutes or more.  When we awaken, we are bone dry, thick of tongue, and maybe some leaked saliva has dried and glued our lips together which we closed just as we awakened...but weren't aware of doing it.

You'll need to up evaporation in your settings, maybe, or try a full face mask, or maybe use a chin strap or other device to help to keep your chin up.  Some resort to soft foam cervical collars available at many health supply stores, most drug stores, and certainly on line.

I happen to have resorted to taping my mouth closed, as have a few others here and there.  It's not the ideal or recommended solution, but I'm into my third year and don't seem to have suffered unduly for my decision and practice. Mind you, my wife doesn't think I've improved since then either.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find the use of a chin strap to be totally useless.  Best I can do is use paper tape as I have a thin face and full face masks make it impossible to prevent leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 25 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 364 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.