Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

windows 10 again
windows 10 again
sorry to bother you all with this.

Eventually got a new PC windows 10 64-bit
Installed everything including OSCAR (on Program Files as usual)

All working fine including Oscar V.1.2 win64.

then installed Acronis True Image 2021 and Kaspersky internet security. they clashed.

Could not longer run OSCAR (furious!)

Pointed both of these programs to allow OSCAR.exe, still did not work.
Uninstalled them both.

pointed Windows defender to Oscar.exe to allow this, still no luck.

When I double click Oscar it loads the program, gets to the page which lists all my profiles, then just crashes. (furious) Perturbed

ready to reinstall windows 10 and everything all over. 

My son said no dad we can fix this.

We uninstalled OSCAR.
We made a registry backup.
We manually removed the Team Oscar from HKey software Oscar.
We disabled Windows defender, still no luck, so that's not it.

We then reinstalled OSCAR and test ran this making a different data directory.

that worked ,and got Oscar running. But, now I now want to point OSCAR to my existing OSCAR data directory at Z:\Chris\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data but can't do so.

So once again, I uninstalled OSCAR, removed the Registry key and reinstalled Oscar.

I loads, finds the list of profiles at Z:\Chris\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data and then crashes again.

I have tried the shift key to load OSCAR, no luck.

I have tried the CleanRegisty.reg file, no luck.

And yes the SD is in the same SD card reader at R:\Resmed.

I am now at a loss and going round in circles: I have gone as far as I can.

Hopefully a simple fix, please point me in the right direction! 

Otherwise I will have to spend the next week setting up Windows 10 again with all the software again. oh well, it can be done!

Luckily I have OSCAR on my laptop and can continue to use that.

any help appreciated! Hoping it is something simple I have missed.

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: windows 10 again
I would suspect that the permissions have changed on your "Z:\" path. You need to make sure that the security settings for "Everyone" is set to "Full" for the entire path to your data. A quick workaround is to put the OSCAR_Data directory in your Documents folder.

Also, If the "Z:\" drive is a NAS or other remote device, it will not be fully connected after a boot-up, until you physically select the drive in Windows Explorer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will get my tech savvy son to have a look at this and then hopefully this should work.

(My OSCAR data folder is on my USB 3.2 drive, not in a NAS) 

If I do have to re-install W10 I am thinking that installing OSCAR onto my external hard drive would be better. 
Would this obviate this kind of error?

At least then all my preferences would be "safely away" from windows and its vagaries!
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt that re-installing Windows 10 will fix your problem. There is generally no advantage to installing OSCAR onto your external hard drive rather than in C:\Program Files unless you want to be able to move your external drive to another machine and run OSCAR there, thus saving installing OSCAR on two machines.

While Kaspersky might have blocked OSCAR, I don't think Acronis True Image would have.

fwiw, the CleanRegisty.reg file does the same thing as removing OSCAR_Team from the registry.

When you run OSCAR on your laptop, do you use the same physical USB drive for your OSCAR data as you do with your new Win10 machine? Is the drive also called Z: on your laptop?

In your OSCAR_Data directory, there should be a subdirectory named "logs." Copy the debug.txt file in that directory into a reply to this post so we can see if there are any messages that shed light on this issue.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guy and thanks for responding.

1. Yes, I have spoken to Acronis online chat and will likely to continue to use that. I will abandon Kaspersky should I need to re-do windows.

2. On my laptop: I use to test/try/play with OSCAR and as an alternative option.

Yes, on the laptop I use the same SD card reader as the one I use in my Desktop. On my Desktop the drive letter is R:\Resmed. On my laptop the Drive letter is F:\Resmed.

No, on my laptop the OSCAR data is the default location, Users\Owner\Documents\OSCAR data.

3. on my desktop Z:\Chris\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data\logs contains:

---connections\devices.xml (this is/looks empty)
---connections.0\devices.xml (this file looks empty)
---debug.0.txt
---debug.1.txt
---debug.2.txt
---debug.3.txt
---debug.txt  ( this has the latest Date Modified 12/05/2021 11:03 AM) contents here.....

00000: Debug: Started logging thread
00000: Debug: OSCAR starting Wed May 12 11:03:30 2021
00000: Debug: APP-NAME: "OSCAR"
00000: Debug: APP-PATH: "C:/Program Files/OSCAR"
00000: Debug: Trying "C:/Program Files/OSCAR/Translations/oscar_qt_fr.qm"
00000: Debug: APP-RESOURCES: "C:/Program Files/OSCAR"
00000: Debug: OSCAR 1.2.0+6d9f544a (winnt x86_64)
00000: Debug: Built with Qt 5.12.9 on Oct 13 2020 11:01:21
00000: Debug: system locale date format "dddd, d MMMM yyyy"
00000: Debug: shortened date format "ddd d MMM yyyy" dayFirst true
00001: Debug: number of built-in *.qm files 0
00001: Debug: Inbuilt Translations: en_US
00001: Debug: number of external *.qm files 48
00002: Debug: Number of external translations is 26
00002: Debug: Extra Translations: af, ar, bg, da, de, el, en_UK, es, es_MX, fi, fr, he, hu, it, ko, nl, no, ph, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, sv, th, tr, zh
00002: Debug: Using default language en_US
00589: Debug: Logging UI initialized
00589: Debug: Using System Tray for Menu
00779: Debug: OSCAR 1.2.0+6d9f544a (winnt x86_64)
00779: Debug: Built with Qt 5.12.9 on Oct 13 2020 11:01:21
00779: Debug: 
00779: Debug: Operating system: Windows 7 (6.1)
00779: Debug: Graphics Engine: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 466.27
00779: Debug: Graphics Engine type: OpenGL
00779: Debug: 
00779: Debug: AppData folder already exists, so ...
00779: Debug: Using Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data as OSCAR data folder
00785: Debug: Logging to Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/logs/debug.txt
00786: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Preferences.xml
00788: Debug: validateFont found 242 installed font families
00792: Debug: Opening  ":/docs/channels.xml"
00793: Debug: Processing xml file: "channels" "en" "1.0"
00794: Debug: Registering PRS1Loader
00802: Debug: Registering ResmedLoader
00807: Debug: Registering IntellipapLoader
00810: Debug: Registering F&P Icon Loader
00810: Debug: Registering WeinmannLoader
00810: Debug: Registering CMS50Loader
00810: Debug: cms50f37 - Registering CMS50F37Loader
00810: Debug: Registering MD300W1Loader
00810: Debug: Registering ViatomLoader
00812: Debug: Logging device connections to Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/logs/connections/devices.xml
00813: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2020/Profile.xml
00818: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/Profile.xml
00822: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB AutoSense for Her/Profile.xml
00827: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB For Her/Profile.xml
00831: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB Vauto/Profile.xml
00835: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CBDemo2020/Profile.xml
00839: Debug: Opening  Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/ChrisBertke/Profile.xml
01051: Debug: Opening profile "CB 2021+"
01066: Debug: ResMed machine found.. locking OSCAR preferences to suit it's summary system
01068: Debug: Loading Journal record: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/Journal_00000f33/
01068: Debug: Loading Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/Journal_00000f33/Summaries.xml.gz
01130: Debug: PreloadSummaries is false
01130: Debug: Queue task loader is not  available
01130: Debug: Loading Summary Data
01132: Debug: No tasks in m_tasklist
01133: Debug: Loaded Journal data in 65 ms
01145: Debug: Loading Session Info
01146: Debug: Loading ResMed record: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_22191835406/
01146: Debug: Loading Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_22191835406/Summaries.xml.gz
01159: Debug: PreloadSummaries is false
01159: Debug: Queue task loader is  available
01159: Debug: Loading Summary Data
01160: Debug: MachineLoader::runTasks MLtasklist size is 0
01161: Debug: Loaded AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her data in 15 ms
01165: Debug: Loading Session Info
01167: Debug: Loading ResMed record: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_23192245352/
01167: Debug: Loading Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_23192245352/Summaries.xml.gz
01231: Debug: PreloadSummaries is false
01231: Debug: Queue task loader is  available
01232: Debug: Loading Summary Data
01233: Debug: MachineLoader::runTasks MLtasklist size is 0
01234: Debug: Loaded AirCurve 10 VAuto data in 67 ms
01264: Debug: Loading Session Info
01266: Debug: Loading channel.dat States
01314: Debug: Creating new Daily object
01352: Debug: Daily Left Panel Width is  482
01373: Debug: Loading ResMed Events: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_23192245352/Events/608c1dc8.001
01374: Debug: Loading ResMed Events: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_23192245352/Events/608c5680.001
01375: Debug: Loading ResMed Events: Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data/Profiles/CB 2021+/ResMed_23192245352/Events/608c5ef0.001
01388: Debug: Number of months for stats (trim to 12 max) 4

Hope this provides a clue!
Post Reply Post Reply
The log looks normal, which is a clue of sorts. The log resembles a crash because of a conflict between video and the graphics code, but you've already checked that by starting with the Shift key. But I've recently seen one case where the software graphics engine (invoked by the shift key) caused OSCAR to crash. So let's pursue that possibility for a moment.

Look at this post and download and unzip the file. That will give you a batch file that you can run from a power shell window. Run that and select option 2. Then start OSCAR and see if the results are any better. If not, run the batch file again and try option 3.

You said you had a new computer. What kind of computer is it, what is the graphics resolution, and is the graphics driver up to date? How much free space is on the Z: drive?

The next step after this is to determine if the OSCAR_Data structure on your Z: drive has been corrupted in some way. Create a zip file of the entire Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data directory and upload it to my Dropbox folder.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a "proof-of-concept", you might try placing the OSCAR_Data folder in your Documents directory and see if that will correct the problem.  You can redirect OSCAR by using the command line.

C:\Program Files\OSCAR\OSCAR.exe --datadir C:\users\your username\Documents\OSCAR_Data

Another consideration; Check to see if you can navigate to the OSCAR data directory on the "Z:\" drive prior to starting OSCAR. Make sure another device didn't grab the drive letter.  I have a NAS drive mapped to a drive letter, but I hadn't physically connected to it when I plugged in a USB drive.  The computer used the mapped drive letter for the USB drive and caused all sorts of problems later when I was trying to access the NAS.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys,

Referring to the linked threads

directory naming: 

does it matter if it's 

OSCAR data

or 

OSCAR_data 

?

PC is ASUS ROG Strix X570-E gaming motherboard, Team T-Force Dark Z 16 GB 3600 MHz CL 18 DDR4 grey, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and the GPU is Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1650 Windforce. More resolution than my current 22" 1080 monitors can use.

Yes we updated the Nvidia driver a few days ago after nagging windows prompts but that was after Oscar was not loading.
From memory there was a Windows update shortly before the Oscar crash. Windows 10 does not allow me NOT update unfortunately.

My Z: drive is a simple Samsung 1TB via USB, with plenty of free space = 844 GB

No, no NAS attached.

I will wait with the batch files & Powershell executions for my son to come and help, and see how we go!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not aware of any restrictions on the data directory name. The debug log didn't complain about it.

After you run those tests, upload a zip of the data directory to my dropbox and I will see if I can open the file on my machine. That should distinguish whether there is any problem in the data.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Win10 just updated last night (May 12) on my desktop and this morning (May 13) OSCAR can't find the directory even though I chose it several times. I don't follow all these instructions provided, too advanced for me. When I have time I'll study them to see what I can understand and implement. Until then I can't access data. Have there been windows update issues in the past?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,391 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 313 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  OSCAR 1.5.1 Windows 10 sleeper2460 2 749 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  wifi EzShare SD Card for Windows 11 Home Greg1582378 3 833 09-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Successfully installed InfoSmart on Windows 10 DrmWEaver 5 2,377 12-07-2022, 09:24 AM
  Installing latest OSCAR on an old Windows PC Rcgop 8 822 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM
  Oscar causing Right click on desktop on windows 11 to crash Explore? hh9797 3 632 06-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: hh9797

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.