Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? (/Thread-Stupid-noob-question-Is-my-new-APAP-exploding)

Pages: 1 2 3

Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - HalfAsleep - 10-15-2017

I am woken at night (sometimes while napping, too), by the sound of a tornado. The noise is sudden, loud and whooshy. It bellows and turbulates.

A couple of times, it's proved to be pressured air storming out of my mouth, another body awareness matter that I'm having to adjust to, though thankfully not the same sound as it might be from the other end. It's interesting how long it takes before you realize you are the source of your own waking up.

Sometimes I think it's trains on the track making their trainly noises as they are wont. But there's no follow-up crash-and-bang.

But most of the time, its neither of those things.

Must be the APAP. But I can't manage to catch it in the act. By the time I've realized that the APAP must be at it again, the noise is gone.

What the heck is that noise?

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - chill - 10-15-2017

That is probably air coming out of your mouth before you are fully away and you closing your mouth as you awake.  It might also be a mask leak that closes up when you awake, but that seems less likely with the P10.  The only leaks from the machine side would be a disconnected hose, hole in the hose, or incorrectly installed seals.  And none of those would spontaneously stop.

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - srlevine1 - 10-16-2017

There appears to be a time before I am fully awake (let's call it twilight sleep) when I am aware of mask leaks, air coming out of my mouth, or snoring. It stops when I am fully awake or reposition myself. Nothing to do with the machine in my case.

You can confirm what you are experiencing by looking at for anomalies in the #Sleepyhead data and looking for leaks and sudden changes in airflow levels.

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - HalfAsleep - 10-16-2017

This morning I’m thinking it’s pressure and humidity being propelled up the hose. It’s very possible it’s bailing me from an “event”. It happened last night, and I believe that was going on. All that sound woke me up, which is, I suppose, an alternative method of “bailing me from an event”. ‘Cos my breathing was, in fact, stuck at that moment.

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - Sleep2Snore - 10-16-2017

Hi Half asleep, It has been reported some people hearing "Bangs" inside their head when they are half wakened.
This comes along with all sorts of noises that can fit into the imagination and into dreams.
What the "Bang" in the head is I have no idea.  Perhaps it is just some nise from the mask or hose, but it is often heard by those using CPAP/APAP.
So you are not alone, your APAP is not blowing up and you are not going mad, well, I don't think you are.
These noises can and do become incorporated in dreams, usually as you are becoming more alert and starting to wake up.
I was going to put as you get aroused, but I thought it was not the right way to put it Laugh-a-lot

(10-16-2017, 09:45 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Hi Half asleep, It has been reported some people hearing "Bangs" inside their head when they are half wakened.
This comes along with all sorts of noises that can fit into the imagination and into dreams.
What the "Bang" in the head is I have no idea.  Perhaps it is just some nise from the mask or hose, but it is often heard by those using CPAP/APAP.
So you are not alone, your APAP is not blowing up and you are not going mad, well, I don't think you are.
These noises can and do become incorporated in dreams, usually as you are becoming more alert and starting to wake up.
I was going to put as you get aroused, but I thought it was not the right way to put it Laugh-a-lot

It sounds like Old Faithful, it's that impressive. This is a new phenomenon with CPAP for me, not the age-old

We're not quite into the season for the radiators to turn on; 1940's radiators can spit out impressive clangs and sizzles...

I'm not in Yellowstone....

The nearby bar is closed at 6 am.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to pressure and water droplets. Old Faithful and ancient radiators make excellent comparators.

Yes, one has to be careful with the arousal word....  Dielaughing

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - skylark - 10-16-2017

(10-15-2017, 06:10 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I am woken at night (sometimes while napping, too), by the sound of a tornado. The noise is sudden, loud and whooshy. It bellows and turbulates.

A couple of times, it's proved to be pressured air storming out of my mouth, another body awareness matter that I'm having to adjust to, though thankfully not the same sound as it might be from the other end. It's interesting how long it takes before you realize you are the source of your own waking up.

Sometimes I think it's trains on the track making their trainly noises as they are wont. But there's no follow-up crash-and-bang.

Must be the APAP. But I can't manage to catch it in the act. By the time I've realized that the APAP must be at it again, the noise is gone.

I'm not saying it's all in your head, but, have you heard of "Exploding Head Syndrome"?  People who are startled awake by non-existant loud noises?

(10-16-2017, 01:29 PM)skylark Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 06:10 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I am woken at night (sometimes while napping, too), by the sound of a tornado. The noise is sudden, loud and whooshy. It bellows and turbulates.

I'm not saying it's all in your head, but, have you heard of "Exploding Head Syndrome"?  People who are startled awake by non-existant loud noises?

That would be saying it's all in my head....  Lolabove

It must be Old Faithful....

RE: Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? - Cpapian - 10-16-2017

Could this noise be rainout?

When I had my titration study, after several interuptions, I finally fell asleep,  only to be awoken by gurgling and a sound like someone sucking on a straw in an empty drink. 

If it is rainout sounds, is your machine lower than your bed?  That can help.    

Also a hose management system i.e. something that keeps the hose up so the moisture doesn't run down.  For me, my hose management system is a large shawl (colour coordinated to the headboard) thrown over the top of the headboard and the hose flipped over that.  Then a knotted headband around the hose and pinned to the shawl to keep it in place.  The shawl is only to reduce the noise of the hose on the wood and anything would do  ... a towel, whatever is soft.  

There are other solutions like turning the humidity down, heatedhose or higher heat or a hose cozy.

I hope this helps  Sleep-well

(10-16-2017, 04:21 PM)Cpapian Wrote: Could this noise be rainout?

When I had my titration study, after several interuptions, I finally fell asleep,  only to be awoken by gurgling and a sound like someone sucking on a straw in an empty drink. 

If it is rainout sounds, is your machine lower than your bed?  That can help.    

Also a hose management system i.e. something that keeps the hose up so the moisture doesn't run down.  For me, my hose management system is a large shawl (colour coordinated to the headboard) thrown over the top of the headboard and the hose flipped over that.  Then a knotted headband around the hose and pinned to the shawl to keep it in place.  The shawl is only to reduce the noise of the hose on the wood and anything would do  ... a towel, whatever is soft.  

There are other solutions like turning the humidity down, heatedhose or higher heat or a hose cozy.

I hope this helps  Sleep-well

This would be like having Old Faithful in your hose.....

I do have a snuggle hose and a heated hose already, but I could try putting the APAP lower, though that might be a bit impractical for me. Right now, it's level with my mattress top, but not below my head.

I suppose it's possible that my hose is getting kinked in the night.