Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage (/Thread-Total-Blower-Time-vs-Cumulative-Usage)

Pages: 1 2

Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - FirstNoele - 03-28-2018

I've read many posts about the importance of knowing the Total Blower time to ascertain whether you're receiving a brand new machine.  

When I received my replacement CPAP on March 14th, I insisted that the DME person show me the blower time.  She zipped through the clinician's menu very quickly and I saw some zeros on one screen.

The 2 week report shows a difference between Total Blower Time and Cumulative Usage.  Granted, it's only 6 minutes, but I'm curious what would explain the difference?

RE: Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - SarcasticDave94 - 03-28-2018

Hi,
This would be my answer, and if you were using ResMed, I am certain of the answer, but I will give a swing anyway.

Assuming you use the humidifier: upon turning off therapy for whatever reason causes the blower to enter a cooling off period that will last from 5-20 minutes I think. The timer only adds time as long as cool off period is active. That cooling off period adds onto the overall unit run time (the hour meter that is not able to be reset).

RE: Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - JesseLee - 03-28-2018

Hello First Noelle,

Do you use the Auto off feature? Have you had disconnects from the hose pulling off while sleeping? Did the therapist turn the machine on while you weren't on the machine? Cool down? It all adds up, and is nothing to worry about.

A PS from my earlier post as I had the same question as you. View the thread HERE if you want.

Coffee

I may have missed something, but I do not know that the Dreamstation machines run a cool down function. I've not noticed it anyway, but I also don't know that if the function has been added to the very latest machines. I have definitely experienced it on Resmed products.

(03-28-2018, 07:15 AM)JesseLee Wrote: I may have missed something, but I do not know that the Dreamstation machines run a cool down function. I've not noticed it anyway, but I also don't know that if the function has been added to the very latest machines. I have definitely experienced it on Resmed products.

Sorry all if I confused the thread. As it's a Respironics device, I'm only making a guess that it could have a cool down feature that may add time to usage. That doesn't mean I am right, as I am guessing only.

RE: Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - Walla Walla - 03-28-2018

Just to confirm. The Dreamstation does not have a cool down period. If the difference is only 6 minutes I would guess the DME turned it on while setting it up to confirmed it worked. I wouldn't worry about it.

(03-28-2018, 07:55 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(03-28-2018, 07:15 AM)JesseLee Wrote: I may have missed something, but I do not know that the Dreamstation machines run a cool down function. I've not noticed it anyway, but I also don't know that if the function has been added to the very latest machines. I have definitely experienced it on Resmed products.

Sorry all if I confused the thread. As it's a Respironics device, I'm only making a guess that it could have a cool down feature that may add time to usage. That doesn't mean I am right, as I am guessing only.

Sorry, ScarcasticDave, I didn't mean to drink all the coffee this morning. I'll put another pot on with a couple extra scoops of grinds in for ya :-)

Okay Coffee

RE: Total Blower Time vs. Cumulative Usage - FirstNoele - 03-28-2018

Thank you to all my CPAP family!

It's good to know that it was probably the 6 minutes for the DME demonstration time with the menu system.

Don't know anything about the Respironics having a cool down, because I've never been interested in a warm up mode on the humidifier or a warm up hose.