Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Health] Doctor Visit Frequency - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Health] Doctor Visit Frequency (/Thread-Health-Doctor-Visit-Frequency)

Pages: 1 2

Doctor Visit Frequency - samfromnj - 04-18-2018

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the forum today and am delighted to be a part of this community.  Been a CPAP user since a year and it does help me sleep better.

My Doc requires me to see him once every 3 months and most of the time the visit is over in literally 5 minutes. He takes a look at my machine readings and so far no changes made since the initial pressure was set.

How often do you see your sleep doctor? Can we adjust the pressure settings on our own?

Thanks

Sam from NJ

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - Ron AKA - 04-18-2018

I don't see my doctor or sleep tech to get settings checked or adjusted. I adjust my own, like most people that are at this forum. If you want to do it see the links at the bottom of my post. SleepyHead is the essential part of being able to do your own adjustments and monitoring. The AirSense 10 is easy to adjust and work with.

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - samfromnj - 04-18-2018

Thanks Ron, I will check the link.

So, how often do you see your sleep doctor?

Sam

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - Gideon - 04-18-2018

First let me welcome you to the forum.  We can and will help you.

Here we believe in taking control of our treatment, that means, if you wish, the ability to change your own settings

Once every 3 months is more often than most of us get.  Typical is initially, within 3 months to verify compliance (insurance) then once a year depending on insurance.

Most here are capable of changing our settings.  How, we mostly use software called SleepyHead (free) and via an SD card download data from your CPAP.  Then post a copy of the daily chart for evaluation.  Members here will help you with either talking points for your doctor, or suggest new settings for you to try, your choice.  That's the nutshell version.

To start specifically what machine do you have. What is the Full Name on the front, ResMed Airsense 10 is only the model series. There is another word there such as CPAP, Elite, or AutoSet, it makes a difference as to capabilities.

My signature is a key to a wealth of information.

Fred

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - SarcasticDave94 - 04-18-2018

Welcome

Ditto what bonjour said. Have a great day.

Coffee

Thanks Bonjour and Dave.

My machine is - ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with Humidifier.

Sam

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - Walla Walla - 04-18-2018

One other thing to add is you can get a clinic manual for your machine. Go to the top and click on cpap setup manuals.

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - Hydrangea - 04-18-2018

Welcome!!!!

I saw my sleep "doctor" after my 1st sleep study, where he told me I should just lose weight and sleep on a wedge, and to "think about it" for a month. I told him I don't need to think about anything, I've had these symptoms all my adult life.

I saw him again after my titration sleep study, where he gave me the cheapest machine on the lowest fixed setting, and sent me on my way. (My sleep "doctor" was his own DME as well. Bad news.)

I saw him again a few weeks later. I told him I'm feeling great, BUT I also feel like I'm not getting enough air (could I please have a higher pressure?, and maybe an auto machine?), and I'm experiencing rainout (could I please get a heated hose?). He told me no, deal with it, I'm feeling better and my AHI is at an insurance-accepted number, so nope, go away. I told him I was unwilling to accept that. He refused to care at all about my patient-experience and comfort, and again said a big fat no. So I told him to keep the machine, I'd find one elsewhere.

I found a machine elsewhere (using that Rx from that sleep "doctor"), tweaked it thanks to the kind folks here, and have been sleeping soundly, with no sleep "doctor", for over a year!

I would *like* to have a sleep *doctor*. But I'm unwilling to deal with a crappy sleep "doctor".

I get good info here, and am empowered to work at figuring this out on my own.

RE: Doctor Visit Frequency - GrammaBear - 04-18-2018

During my first year after diagnosis in 2009, I saw the sleep doctor every 3 months. Then after that I see him once a year, where he takes a look at my settings and compliance and sends me on my merry way. Many of us on this forum adjust our machine setting by ourselves and sometimes we confer with others on the forum who may have more experience with a particular problem. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable advise.   I will get to work and start educating myself.

Sam