Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? (/Thread-Equipment-Has-Your-Philips-Dreamstation-Humidifier-Lid-Latch-Failed)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - FLsleeper7 - 07-08-2019

I've had my Philips Dreamstation since early Feb 2016, and it's provided problem-free service the entire time... until this weekend, when the humidifier lid latch failed. More specifically, the two pieces of plastic that act as springs to hold the latch closed have broken, so I'm using masking tape to hold it closed until I find a better solution. The humidifier itself still works fine other than the failed latch "springs".

I verified the cause of failure by separating the humidifier from the CPAP machine then removing the 5 alllen screws that secures the side that fits against the CPAP. The two plastic "springs" were still attached but fell off as soon as I touched them.

Despite the good 3 year run, I'm still miffed that Philips didn't foresee that these thin plastic pieces would eventually break when repeatedly flexed twice a day for years, making a part that probably cost them less than $1 to manufacture the humidifier's most likely point of failure. While I have the advantage of hindsight, it seems pretty obvious to me.

I called Philips and they expressed their sympathy and dismay and suggested I buy a new one. The idea of spending $195 because a cheap piece of plastic failed isn't terribly appealing, so maybe I'll try epoxying in a steel spring instead, if I can find one the right size

Philips also said they haven't had any other reports of this particular failure. The Dreamstation was first sold in late October 2015, which means my system is one of the older ones. Maybe mine is one of the first of many destined to fail in this manner. 

Philips said they welcome reports of this type since it helps them improve their product, so if yours fails in the same way you may want to help them out by calling Philips Respironics Customer Service at 1-724-387-4000.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Hydrangea - 07-08-2019

Wow. No, mine has not. But I got mine in Feb. '16. Oh, wait... the screen failed on that one after a year, so I got my current one in Feb. '17.

Hrm. I have wondered how strong that spring & plastic is. You're right - it should be built to endure, considering we're supposed to open/close it each day.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Big Guy - 07-08-2019

Wow.....$195.00 for a humidifier tub?  Crazy

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - FLsleeper7 - 07-09-2019

$195 is the cost of replacing the entire humidifier unit (which is what Philips customer support recommended), not just the tub (which goes for $18 or so). I've since found one for $185 from an online CPAP supply retailer, and one advertised as new on ebay for $95.

But the idea of replacing the entire unit because Philips didn't foresee this and make replacements available makes me unhappy. They still make them; how hard would it be to start cranking out spares? Installing a new part would take even the least mechanically inclined only 5 minutes.

I'm shopping for stainless steel compression springs I can install that will probably outlast the rest of the device. If I find some I'll take pics showing what I did and post them here along with the spring dimensions.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Beamrider - 07-09-2019

I've had my DreamStation for 3 weeks only and I have to admit - as an engineer - that the latch seems to be indeed a weak point - the other one being the tube connector of the humidifier, I remove the hose once a day/two days and because of the obvious tubing tightness, I think keeping pulling on the connector on and on will make it fail sometime.

Looking forward to seeing your workaround!

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - bluesboybob - 07-09-2019

(07-09-2019, 01:37 AM)Beamrider Wrote: I've had my DreamStation for 3 weeks only and I have to admit - as an engineer - that the latch seems to be indeed a weak point - the other one being the tube connector of the humidifier, I remove the hose once a day/two days and because of the obvious tubing tightness, I think keeping pulling on the connector on and on will make it fail sometime.

Looking forward to seeing your workaround!

If you use a heated hose there is no tightness at the humidifier connection. It uses a latch connector that you squeeze to release. Much less strain on the humidifier.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Sleeprider - 07-09-2019

The part you are looking for is called the "Philips Respironics Flip Lid Assembly for PR System One Humidifiers". Doing a Google search you will find one is available from The CPAP Shop for $9.99. A heated tube kit is available for the PRS1 60 Series that replaces the humidifier lid with one that allows for the heated tube. The Philips Respironics Heated Tube Upgrade Kit for PR System One 60 Series Humidifiers is available from Supplier #1 for $75. This is a pretty good value and updates your humidifier lid, tube and power supply.

The System One 60 series CPAP machines are getting pretty long in the tooth and yours does not provide data. If you have good insurance, you should be due for a replacement. Next time, opt for an auto-CPAP, so you will have data and the machine can automatically update your pressure needs without another sleep study.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - bluesboybob - 07-09-2019

[attachment=13514 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='302198' dateline='1562677061']The part you are looking for is call the "Philips Respironics Flip Lid Assembly for PR System One Humidifiers".  Doing a Google search you will find one is available from The CPAP Shop for $9.99.

The System One 60 series CPAP machines are getting pretty long in the tooth and yours does not provide data.  If you have good insurance, you should be due for a replacement.  Next time, opt for an auto-CPAP, so you will have data and the machine can automatically update your pressure needs without another sleep study.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was talking about the latch that holds the humidifier cover down on the DreamStation. Illustration attached:

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - Sleeprider - 07-09-2019

I was looking at the outdated profile showing a 260P. My mistake. I guess the part he wants is the Respironics DreamStation Humidifier Flip Lid Latch. RespShop has it for $12.99.

RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? - FLsleeper7 - 07-09-2019

I appreciate your effort, but it's not the latch itself that's broken; it's the two plastic prongs that provide tension to keep the latch closed.