Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Repair existing machine or buy new? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Repair existing machine or buy new? (/Thread-Repair-existing-machine-or-buy-new)

Repair existing machine or buy new? - S.L. Ping Beauty - 08-31-2019

I posted about a noise in my pap machine IN THIS THREAD.

The noise is subtle, but my bedroom-house location is so serene with perfectly quiet silence, except for an occasional occurrence of the coyote pack howls,which in a strange way is rather relaxing when it happens...  no matter how subtle the machine noise is, it will wake me and is rather disconcerting.

The machine is almost exactly 3 years old with 9750 hours which seems close to 1000 more than it should have... DME provider assured me is was brand new when delivered to me.  The 2 year warranty is expired.

I inquired about getting it serviced to resolve the noise which started happening about 2 weeks ago.  I was told that there would be a $150 diagnosis fee and then parts above that if needed.  I did not ask if additional labor would be assessed as I was kinda' shocked by the cost.    Geez,  my IT guy for my office computers charges less per hour than that!!!

As the title states, should I go for a repair or just put that money towards a new machine?   I know a machine is much more than the repair cost, but if this current machine is predisposed to problems is it more prudent to get new?  I have not checked if insurance will pay for another (or even repair costs for that matter) but it still might be cheaper for me to buy outright.  I will look into that.

If insurance does not cover another, what is your opinion on buy vs. repair.

RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...? - SarcasticDave94 - 08-31-2019

You probably know this but here goes...If this were myself, I'd compare full repair price VS full new/slightly used from either insurance purchase or self purchase. Repairing what you have could be fine, it mainly depends on the overall cost. It's not like a new unit can get you a newer machine series. But your current unit does have nearly 10,000 hours. Maybe the repair negates the hours issue though.

I'd check to see where you are on insurance assist for a new device. And search for new or slightly used. Place these 3 price possibles on the table. The 3 choices I see are: repair current, shop new or slightly used you buy, or insurance assist in new device. Then decide what works best for budget and getting you the best, most reliable solution.

RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...? - ardenum - 08-31-2019

You can ask to buy new blower, Motherboard is probably fine. new blower should be around $300 and not have any smell besides mild factory plastic smell. You can also get a motor from china, $250 but used, search ebay for 232933385604 , its the item number.

RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...? - Sleeprider - 08-31-2019

The likely repair is a "pneumatic block" or blower. I would call Supplier #27 for an estimate, then if that is not acceptable, either buy from Supplier #33 or ask for insurance coverage for a new one. Some insurance companies do require the DME to extend the warranty to 3-years, and they will cover repair costs or replace a malfunctioning unit. I think you should discuss your coverage directly with the insurer.

RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...? - ardenum - 08-31-2019

(08-31-2019, 11:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The likely repair is a "pneumatic block" or blower.  I would call Supplier #27 for an estimate, then if that is not acceptable, either buy from Supplier #33 or ask for insurance coverage for a new one.   Some insurance companies do require the DME to extend the warranty to 3-years, and they will cover repair costs or replace a malfunctioning unit.  I think you should discuss your coverage directly with the insurer.

You mean Supplier 33 sells motors?

RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...? - Sleeprider - 08-31-2019

Supplier #33 sells new and used machines at very good prices. The repair facility ACBio is Supplier #27 and may sell parts, but certainly will give you a fair price for repair.