Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? (/Thread-Can-I-use-the-existing-modem-with-a-new-machine)

Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - SevereApnea - 11-21-2020

Hello 

Just a quick question for those in the know;

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 For Her here in Australia with a modem that sends data to my Sleep Doctor and Sleep team (here in Oz).

If I buy/import a backup machine (same or similar, let's say Vauto) is there a way I can still send the data via modem? A machine imported from the US will not have an Australian compatible modem/SIM card.

Can I simply move/swap the modem to the new machine?

Or swap out the internal hardware from the new machine to old one and connect up the modem?

Or do both the  modem and the machine have their own serial/model number making this not feasible?

If not, it's no big deal: if I go this route I will inform the Sleep team what is happening, anyway.

(I have read on the forum that the new machine will need its own SD card so that part at least I do understand)

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - Crimson Nape - 11-21-2020

Based off my limited nosing around inside the A10 series, there are 2 chips.  The main chip is a STM32 and the STM8 on blower unit.  The  STM32 holds the main firmware and the "personality" of the device, CPAP, Autoset, VAuto, ASV, S/ST, ST-A, and iVAPS.  The STM8 appears to maintain the serial number and run hours.  I never really looked at the modem, except to disconnect it.  Based on its visual appearance, it would be a standard 3rd party produced item.  I don't envision a CPAP manufacturer more-or-less reinventing the wheel on an item that isn't industry specific.  I didn't bother looking at the method was used to attach this daughter card to the motherboard.  I can show you where it connects.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28251]

Good luck!

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - Sleeprider - 11-21-2020

I have not heard of anyone soldering a different modem into a machine. Most of us prefer not to have our data sent that way. I think you are up against two problems. Not only is the modem not compatible with the AU phone system, but the data is actually distributed through the Resmed servers back to your doctor, and this means the transmission must include the machine ID. I think it would be much easier and safer to occasionally send a copy of the SD card.

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - srlevine1 - 11-22-2020

It is likely that the physical form factor of the AU and US modems are the same with the only difference being the modem chipset.

If this is true, you might be able to simply swap the cards and reconnect to the motherboard. The program that combines the serial number and formats the data is likely to be the same. You might call one of the vendors who exports and repairs machines and ask if this is true. I would ask the question in the form of, "can you replace the US modem card with an AU modem card and how much will it cost?"

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - SevereApnea - 11-22-2020

Thanks Sleeprider

Well I certainly don't to subject my (lack of) soldering skills to the poor machine.

I thought if it was a quick swap over, it might be worth it.

But as you say for compliance it will simply be easier to bring the sleep clinic a copy of my SD card.

@srlevine1

Yes, I will ask them before I purchase if it is an easy swap but it may just complicate things.

Thanks for your replies!

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - Jeff8356 - 11-22-2020

It looks like they have the communications module boards mass produced, probably for whatever region the particular batch of xPAP's is headed to (US, CA, OZ, etc) to comply with local regulations for cellular.  Looks like the board is just plugin and a screw or two to hold it in place.  Likely the same board for all 10 series machines.

This one is for the US:
[attachment=28262]

You can see all the internal pics here: https://fccid.io/2ACHL-AIR104G/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photographs-3994756

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - Sleeprider - 11-22-2020

Interesting, that CAM board is located around the side of the unit and is a complete assembly. It appears the AU unit can be simply screwed into place and plugged into the flow generator board. Good Google-foo Jeff!

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - SevereApnea - 11-22-2020

Hey thanks Jeff!

That prompted me to search the boards a bit more and came across this from farnsy:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-ResMed-AirSense-10-Disassembly-and-Modem-Removal

5:12 into the video might just be what I am looking for.

Then in the myAir website I have the chance to change the machine serial number and device number.

[attachment=28268]

Bottom right: Change Machine...

Can't guarantee this will work, but worth keeping in mind for later.

Thanks for the inspiration!

RE: Can I use the existing modem with a new machine? - SevereApnea - 12-05-2020

Just as an addendum to this:

Playing some more with myAir and the AirSense 10.

Switched to Flight Mode on Dec 1......no data sent or received by myAir.

This morning I switched Flight Mode off and after a few hours all the data from the last few days has been uploaded and is available again, so backfills any missing data, don't know how far back it will do this.

[attachment=28497]

[attachment=28498]