Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Introduction - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Introduction (/Thread-CPAP-Introduction)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Introduction - Sleeprider - 12-23-2020

I have no credential meaningful to your medical team, and truth be told, I still have no firm opinion where your therapy needs to be. While I have helped many with optimizing positive pressure therapy, and even very complex cases, the disclaimer in my signature should guide you. Your results are quite good, but I think you could have more sleep position flexibility and more consistent results with an Auto CPAP like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I am but an observer of your NHS, and the feedback I see from your countrymen varies quite a bit. One of our monitors on Apnea Board, JasWilliams elects to buy his adaptive servo ventilator, out-of-pocket, rather than deal with NHS bureaucracy, and his is not an isolated case. I see widely varying results in consultant expertise and a tendency to use low-end equipment to treat even complex problems. My viewpoints do not come from a propaganda originating in the U.S. but from members of this forum located in the U.K.

RE: Introduction - Knitman - 12-24-2020

I have just risen in. a huge amount of pain. The first thing I have done is call the Dr and am b eing called back. I have told them about your cervical collar suggestion and have asked about getting one. I am going to have the try it. The only other thought I have is to try a Tempur medium topper for my half half the bed. The mattress we have is only one year old and a genuine Tempur.

I hope you didn't find my correction about the NHS too hard. I understand why Americans who have this view think this. On MSNBC recently a high ranking politician, ot maybe Ambassador, Repub, was saying hikw is wife had to go into hospital and the hospital was filthy, lacking equipment and staff. We knew he was lying. Then he named the hospital. The hospital he named is a PRIVATE, not NHS, hospital and on ly the well off would go to it. He was lying thru his teeth as we say.

My AHI was 0.44 last night. I will however add that my last meal of the day was high carb. An occasional treat. I always have a low AHI in those circumstances. There is a scientific reason for it which I can't recall but it has something to do with either the release of Tryptophan from our bodies or it's in the food itself. Either way it is a known 'knock out' chemical.

kindest regards

[attachment=28853]

(12-23-2020, 08:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have no credential meaningful to your medical team, and truth be told, I still have no firm opinion where your therapy needs to be. While I have helped many with optimizing positive pressure therapy, and even very complex cases, the disclaimer in my signature should guide you.  Your results are quite good, but I think you could have more sleep position flexibility and more consistent results with an Auto CPAP like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  I am but an observer of your NHS, and the feedback I see from your countrymen varies quite a bit.  One of our monitors on Apnea Board, JasWilliams elects to buy his adaptive servo ventilator, out-of-pocket, rather than deal with NHS bureaucracy, and his is not an isolated case.  I see widely varying results in consultant expertise and a tendency to use low-end equipment to treat even complex problems.  My viewpoints do not come from a propaganda originating in the U.S. but from members of this forum located in the U.K.

What you get is 'anecdotal' evidence from people who are worried and concerned. Not good to form an opinion from that. Proper peer reviewed studies show a completely different story. 

That is sad. UK people don't understand how lucky we are and we are also known for being complainers. It's why the Ozzies call us Whinging Poms.  Smile. I have lived all of the world. In 97 was lucky enough to fulfill a dream and went on a driving holiday through New England , NY State and NB, Quebec and Ontario. I did a 3500 road trip. I'll never forget it. New England and MY Sate were stunning. However, it was much more Stephen King than Murder She Wrote! I grew up in Australia, Singapore, Germany mainly. 

I should have a cervical collar on Sunday. I really hope it works as obviously I'd prefer to sleep as I was doing. 

I am loathe to change from a Phillips just because I know it, it's quiet and it works. I can get an auto one. I am going to look into your machine suggestion. I came to the conclusion a while ago that I need an auto.

kindest regards

RE: Introduction - SarcasticDave94 - 12-24-2020

Having COPD too, I put an inquiry to the others esteemed opinions if they may agree and maybe in considering what I suggest, although not a machine as big as one I fight for due to my contrarion Overlap. Even so, how about a backup rate ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A is maybe in the realm of consideration? Maybe of course a VAuto if backup rate not necessary.

RE: Introduction - Sleeprider - 12-24-2020

I think stabilizing your airway with a soft cervical collar will allow you more flexibility in sleeping position. I have little doubt the difference between reclined and upright results is positional, and the collar should protect your airway. It would not hurt to discuss an auto CPAP machine capable of increasing pressure when you are in an upright sleep position, and the most effective is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I can show you studies that show the responsiveness to obstruction of Philips vs Resmed and a number of others, and it is significant. Anyway, your needs for auto pressure arise from your other complications and sleep position, so an auto adjusting CPAP seems like it would be pretty easy to justify.

(12-24-2020, 01:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think stabilizing your airway with a soft cervical collar will allow you more flexibility in sleeping position. I have little doubt the difference between reclined and upright results is positional, and the collar should protect your airway. It would not hurt to discuss an auto CPAP machine capable of increasing pressure when you are in an upright sleep position, and the most effective is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  I can show you studies that show the responsiveness to obstruction of Philips vs Resmed and a number of others, and it is significant.  Anyway, your needs for auto pressure arise from your other complications and sleep position, so an auto adjusting CPAP seems like it would be pretty easy to justify.

Thank you kindly. I can but one of these easily. Will the tube that comes with it fit my Resmed F30 without any hassle? It just clicks into place on the Dreamstation.

My collar will arrive on Sunday so will get a chance to try it Sunday night. 

I do not know how much impact it has but I have OA in the cervical spine and my neck is straight whereas in humans it is supposed to be curved. 

kindest regards

BTW does the Resmed Airsense have an app and an sd card? will I get all the info, or more, that I get with the Dreamstation?

RE: Introduction - SarcasticDave94 - 12-24-2020

Info from the PAP? Get an SD card, SD or SDHC regular physical size 2-32GB and format to FAT32 and OSCAR. All the data needs with this.

ResMed AutoSet is going to be fine, but sick with ResMed no matter what machine you get.

RE: Introduction - Sleeprider - 12-24-2020

(12-24-2020, 02:33 PM)Knitman Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 01:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think stabilizing your airway with a soft cervical collar will allow you more flexibility in sleeping position. I have little doubt the difference between reclined and upright results is positional, and the collar should protect your airway. It would not hurt to discuss an auto CPAP machine capable of increasing pressure when you are in an upright sleep position, and the most effective is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  I can show you studies that show the responsiveness to obstruction of Philips vs Resmed and a number of others, and it is significant.  Anyway, your needs for auto pressure arise from your other complications and sleep position, so an auto adjusting CPAP seems like it would be pretty easy to justify.

Thank you kindly. I can but one of these easily. Will the tube that comes with it fit my Resmed F30 without any hassle? It just clicks into place on the Dreamstation.

My collar will arrive on Sunday so will get a chance to try it Sunday night. 

I do not know how much impact it has but I have OA in the cervical spine and my neck is straight whereas in humans it is supposed to be curved. 

kindest regards

BTW does the Resmed Airsense have an app and an sd card? will I get all the info, or more, that I get with the Dreamstation?

If you are asking about the tube on a Resmed machine, the answer is yes. All CPAP and BPAP tubes have universal 22 mm fittings. The machine end of the tube may be proprietary with heated tubes.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the collar works out for you. I know you are uncomfortable and as long at your collar supports the jaw, this will help you get in a better place.

(12-24-2020, 03:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are asking about the tube on a Resmed machine, the answer is yes. All CPAP and BPAP tubes have universal 22 mm fittings. The machine end of the tube may be proprietary with heated tubes.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the collar works out for you. I know you are uncomfortable and as long at your collar supports the jaw, this will help you get in a better place.

I am truly touched by your concern for my well being. Thank you. I am hoping the collar works too. I am a fighter, sometimes stubborn, and I really wanted the foetal position to work for me. It has as far as my AHI is concerned but having that pain back rather defeats the benefit of the CPAP therapy. Pain is exhausting. 

I doubt I shall get to speak to the CPAP medics until next week now. However, I can buy the Resmed just by clicking to say I have the required medical stuff. I have the diagnosis which I can prove as it's on paper. They do not ask to actually see a script.

kindest regards

(12-24-2020, 02:46 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Info from the PAP? Get an SD card, SD or SDHC regular physical size 2-32GB and format to FAT32 and OSCAR. All the data needs with this.

ResMed AutoSet is going to be fine, but sick with ResMed no matter what machine you get.

Thank you Dave. You are the second person to say Resmed is best. I would probably have to buy it outright myself because the clinics seem to choose what brand they work with. That is the impression I got from a UK based board. I'll soon find out if my clinic can provide a Resmed or not. I am confident though that I need an auto and knew that before coming here. The A-trial on my Dreamstation seems to prove that according to the feedback I got from showing the OSCAR charts here.

I like the fact I can look at the Dreamstation screen and it tells me the AHI. My phone app tells me the pressures, the amount of C and O apneas and Hypopneas. (Are they the same as CA?), my average over 14, 30, 60 and 90 days. Mask fit, leaks etc. Having only OSCAR would be tiresome to have to go into my Mac daily tlo read it all especially when I don't understand the whole story.

kindest regards