Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... (/Thread-New-to-CPAP-treatment-Quick-question)

Pages: 1 2

New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Aqualily - 01-02-2021

Hey guys, thanks for having this forum! Was not sure where to post this, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong area. New CPAP user here (had it exactly 2 weeks). I have the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet, and a ResMed F20 full face mask (for her). I was supposed to receive the N20, but they sent the wrong mask! So I decided to give the F20  a shot since the holidays were coming up, I figured it would be a hassle to try to send it back then! Now here's my question: I have noticed that when I'm sleeping on my side, I'm primarily a side sleeper, that I can feel some air coming out the top. This drives me CRAZY. Is this considered a leak? MyAir says I have no leaks. Is this normal, and is it something that's compromising my treatment? Usually I can adjust the mask and it stops but once I sleep who knows what happens. It also wakes me up randomly. Besides the N20, what other masks could I try if I decide this F20 isn't for me? I'm a nose breather, I mostly sleep on my back and my side. I toss and turn all night. Thanks for your input and suggestions!

RE: New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Melman - 01-02-2021

Welcome to the forum. Leaks at the top of a full face mask are not uncommon and can often be fixed by adjusting the straps. I use the F20 and just s slight tightening of the straps eliminates that leakage for me. The leakage is probably slight and not effecting our therapy but it is hard to determine without more data, MyAir isn't good for much. I suggest you download free OSCAR software from the link at the top of the page. It provides a wealth of helpful data.

Even slight leakage at the top of the mask is uncomfortable, however, and may contribute to dry eye problems. See the link below for the  mask primer. It may help you with adjustments and selection

If you are a nose breather you should change to a nasal mask or nasal pillows. The sealing area is much smaller and less prone to leakage. Many here prefer the  Resmed P10 nasal pillows. I'm sure you will get input from them.

RE: New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Dormeo - 01-02-2021

Congratulations on starting treatment for your sleep apnea. You have a great machine there, and you're already sleeping with the machine on, which is good.

It sounds as though you're experience a small but disruptively annoying leak -- small enough not to be flagged in MyAir, but large enough to bother you.

Finding the right mask can be a challenge, and because the contours of our faces are all so different, what works for one person may not work for another. That said, nasal pillow masks are often easiest to fit because there are fewer linear inches touching your face. Many people who use a nasal pillow mask like the ResMed P10, which is minimalist. It would be important to get all three sizes of the nasal pillows so you can try them out.

Supplier #1 (see list up above) has a free return policy that might help you if your insurance won't cover a different mask to try out.

Because you're a restless sleeper, you might benefit from a hose lift (hose stand). My current favorite is the CPAPology Houdini, which swivels very well. I use a terrycloth cover on my hose, which provides enough friction to keep the hose in place in the loop that holds it.

RE: New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Aqualily - 01-02-2021

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Where do you purchase these hose lifts? And I will look into the P10 once I try out the N20 I'm waiting for. Just wish my DME hadn't sent the wrong mask in the first place Sad

Many kinds of hose lifts are available via Amazon, including the Houdini that I mentioned.

Thank you! I will definitely look into that and OSCAR.

RE: New to CPAP treatment. Quick question... - Sleeprider - 01-02-2021

Aqualily, ask for the Resmed Airfit P10 For Her mask. Get the regular one (not for her) if you have a larger face/nose. You won't regret it. This is the smallest easiest to fit mask ever. My wife uses the for her, and I use the regular Airfiit P10.

I will do that! Thank you so much for the recommendation. Not sure if my insurance will pay for another one at the moment, does anyone know the cheapest place to get masks online?

See my post above mentioning Supplier #1.

Yes, just saw that, thank you! Sorry I was at work and was skimming posts and completely skimmed past that part. My next question is, if I oder a mask off of there it says prescription required, would I just have to get a copy from my sleep doctor? Thanks for all the suggestions.