Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? (/Thread-ResMed-P10-nose-pillow-Useful-lifespan)

ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - FredH - 01-31-2021

I clean my hoses, humidifier tank, headgear and nose pillow weekly, and I don't see the need to replace as often as I read (except for the elastic "headgear" that I buy whenever I see OEM versions heavily discounted).

My question is about the ResMed P10 soft nose pillow.  Are there any telltale signs of when it's fair time to replace the nose pillow?  I look for loss of flexibility or tears.  I want a good seal while not wanting to toss perfectly good equipment.

RE: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - JJJ - 01-31-2021

I've never torn one of the nose pillows, but after a very long time they get a little stiff. Still, I use one for six months or more. And I made my own headgear out of a piece of elastic from a fabric store, to use instead of the junk from Resmed. I never need to buy new mask equipment.

RE: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - FredH - 02-09-2021

(01-31-2021, 02:31 PM)JJJ Wrote: ...I made my own headgear out of a piece of elastic from a fabric store, to use instead of the junk from Resmed....

I have a 70-year-old Singer sewing machine and I can hem a pair of jeans, but that's about all.  Any method or pattern you can share?  TIA

RE: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - Sleeprider - 02-09-2021

Fred, the N30 headgear also works with the P10 mask. It has an adjustment buckle and I have found it lasts much longer and is more adjustable.

[Image: 31seiu25bCL._AC_.jpg]

RE: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - JJJ - 02-10-2021

(02-09-2021, 11:32 AM)FredH Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 02:31 PM)JJJ Wrote: ...I made my own headgear out of a piece of elastic from a fabric store, to use instead of the junk from Resmed....

I have a 70-year-old Singer sewing machine and I can hem a pair of jeans, but that's about all.  Any method or pattern you can share?  TIA

First, I figured out that the band over the top of the head was useless, so I make just one simple band around the back of the head. The elastic that I use is about 2cm (1.75") wide. I cut a piece log enough to go around the back of my head and fasten to the nosepiece. I cut the old fabric off the nosepiece leaving just the little bit that fastens over the prong. The key is that I dip the ends of my new piece of elastic into some varnish and let it sit until the varnish dries. Then, using a utility knife (or Xacto knife) I cut a slit in the ends of the elastic to create a 'buttonhole,' which I can then wiggle onto the nosepiece.

It takes several attempts to get the length of the elastic right, as well as how to do the rest of the operation. Once I figured out how to do it right for my head I made several at the same time, so when my elastic finally gives up (about six months if you get quality elastic) I have another one ready.

This is the slit in the elastic:

------------------------------
    ----------
---------------------------------

RE: ResMed P10 nose pillow - Useful lifespan? - SleepFoo - 02-12-2021

(02-09-2021, 03:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Fred, the N30 headgear also works with the P10 mask. It has an adjustment buckle and I have found it lasts much longer and is more adjustable.

[Image: 31seiu25bCL._AC_.jpg]

that is brilliant. Wonder if that's why my P10 was leaking so bad. I'll have to try that in the future if i need a temporary while waiting on a replacement.