Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] (/Thread-Downloading-new-version-of-Oscar-caused-it-to-stop-working-solution-see-post-3)

Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - mjpinsky - 02-03-2021

I noted that there was a new version of Oscar (v1.2.0) so I decided to download and install it.
It didn't/doesn't work.  
First is said that it needed Oscar or Sleephead Data - even though the old oscar data appeared intact.
Luckily, I also kept SleepyHead on my laptop and kept it updated.  SO when Oscar wanted the SleepyHead data I gave it the location,  It appeared to download the data OK (ie:  the folders are there with today's date).  BUT>>>> now Oscar still won't load/start giving me an error msg again -- unable to write to Oscar directory.  What have I done wrong?  How do I get it to work?  (I do not have my years old original Oscar setup to fall back on).
HELP, PLEASE!...............marc

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working. - untoutseul05 - 02-03-2021

It works very well on "Linux".
Aren't you on a Windows machine ? If yes, I thought what the OSCAR directory is no more write enable.
Maybe, it's a Windows update.

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working. - GuyScharf - 02-04-2021

If you are using Windows, we have had reports of anti-virus and other security products blocking OSCAR from writing to disk. One that has been reported is AVG. The solution is to mark OSCAR as an allowed program in whatever way your security tool requires.

Another condition we have seen that can cause this is that the permissions settings in your Documents and OSCAR folders could be set to block writing to disk. This could happen if you have attempted to tighten security by altering default permissions of folders.

A third possibility is that you have located the OSCAR_Data directory in a folder that the operating system will not allow programs to write to (in Windows, program data is not allowed in the Program Files folder).

I have added a description of this problem and solution to the OSCAR Troubleshooting Wiki page.

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working. - Sleeprider - 02-04-2021

(02-04-2021, 12:21 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: If you are using Windows, we have had reports of anti-virus and other security products blocking OSCAR from writing to disk. One that has been reported is AVG. The solution is to mark OSCAR as an allowed program in whatever way your security tool requires.

Another condition we have seen that can cause this is that the permissions settings in your Documents and OSCAR folders could be set to block writing to disk. This could happen if you have attempted to tighten security by altering default permissions of folders.

A third possibility is that you have located the OSCAR_Data directory in a folder that the operating system will not allow programs to write to (in Windows, program data is not allowed in the Program Files folder).

I have added a description of this problem and solution to the OSCAR Troubleshooting Wiki page.

Guy, have you thought of adding this to the Troubleshooting Wiki? We should keep adding these issues as they arise. Let me know if you'd rather I do it.

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - GuyScharf - 02-04-2021

Hmmm. See last line of my post.

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - Sleeprider - 02-04-2021

Thanks Guy. Looks like you got it. My skim reading did it again.

new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - mjpinsky - 02-06-2021

OK>>>> I found my old version of Oscar 1.0.1-r-1.  Reinstalled this version and Oscar works again.  (Didn't touch the data folder/s).
Do you think uploading the new version 1.2 to a totally different directory  (ie: Oscar.1.2) would help?
Since the old version is up and running again, I will put off new version for a while until y'all make me feel more comfortable about installing it.
Thanks for the help.

RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3] - GuyScharf - 02-06-2021

If you start OSCAR 1.0.1 and do not import any data, how do the graphs for the latest days look? Do they look the same as if you had imported data?