Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas (/Thread-Suddenly-experiencing-a-lot-more-Central-Apneas)

Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - sleepy331 - 03-22-2021

Hi all,

I'm facing another issue with my Bipap machine...

So, I recently posted about my problems with a leaky mask (leak rate was over 30%) and after following this group's advice, I seemed to have fixed that problem by washing and machine drying the elastic on my mask. So THANK YOU to everyone that provided feedback about that!

Now I seem to be having another issue... my central apneas have gone through the roof. I did increase the pressure support slightly, but it's hard to imagine it would have that much of an effect (from 3 to 3.8). 

I'm currently on "S" mode with a 6 EPAP and 9.8 IPAP. Should I switch to "Auto" mode instead?

Anyways, if anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it! I also included a close-up of the flow rate, in case that's helpful.

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - Gideon - 03-22-2021

your pressure support is 3.8, let's reduce it to 3, so set IPAP=9/PS=3

you appear to be one of the 'lucky' individuals where a higher PS may be causing higher CA events, this will give us additional data to work on.

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - sleepy331 - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 04:35 PM)Gideon Wrote: your pressure support is 3.8,  let's reduce it to 3, so set IPAP=9/PS=3

you appear to be one of the 'lucky' individuals where a higher PS may be causing higher CA events,  this will give us additional data to work on.

Thanks! Do you see any other issues with my settings? 

I am using "S" mode rather than "V auto". Also, do you think my flow rate looks okay?

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - Gideon - 03-22-2021

Yes, but is there a reason you are not using VAuto Mode?

Eliminate the calendar as that prevents other data from showing, specifically your settings.

You should ALWAYS show us the standard charts ( View / Reset Graphs / Standard )
Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limit, Leaks, 

then if you have a need to show the more advanced charts,  ( View / Reset Graphs / Advanced)

Your Flow Limits look ok

T=You could add a zero line to the flow rate chart, everything on top is inspiration, below expiration.

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - sleepy331 - 03-23-2021

(03-22-2021, 07:33 PM)Gideon Wrote: Yes, but is there a reason you are not using VAuto Mode?

Eliminate the calendar as that prevents other data from showing, specifically your settings.

You should ALWAYS show us the standard charts ( View / Reset Graphs / Standard )
Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limit, Leaks, 

then if you have a need to show the more advanced charts,  ( View / Reset Graphs / Advanced)

Your Flow Limits look ok

T=You could add a zero line to the flow rate chart, everything on top is inspiration, below expiration.

Hey Gideon,

Yea I seem to have more problems with Vauto mode for some reason. My AHI almost always seems higher when I use it compared to just regular "S" mode. Any idea why that might be happening? 

I've attached images of last night and the prior night's OSCAR records, as well as a summary of my settings and the results.

Thanks again for your help. This has all been quite the journey!

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - Gideon - 03-23-2021

A question before I bias your answer.

Which night did you like better? And why?

RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas - sleepy331 - 03-23-2021

(03-23-2021, 09:38 AM)Gideon Wrote: A question before I bias your answer.

Which night did you like better?  And why?

It's hard to tell but I feel like last night I slept slightly better (on Vauto mode), despite the higher leakage rate, but honestly, it's close.