Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask (/Thread-Equipment-Problem-fitting-DreamWear-nasal-cradle-mask)

Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - clownbell - 04-21-2021

With the DreamWear nasal cradle mask and using the new headgear, the top of the frame (where the hose enters the elbow) tends to slide forward toward my forehead causing leaks. Sliding the frame up to the crown of the head makes the leaks go away. When I fall asleep, the frame slides forward again.

Having tried the "large" size frame without success, I could try the "small" frame but not sure that would help. Maybe a velcro strip to connect the top of the frame to the headgear but not sure that would help.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks for your input.

Craig

Craig

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - plakky - 04-22-2021

Other people have much more experience than I do, but I am a Dreamwear fan so here are my thoughts:

The ResMed heated hose attached to the top of my Dreamwear mask frame felt heavy and awkward to me, making the mask move around, so I bought an inexpensive 18" feather weight tube from Amazon to put between the mask frame swivel tube and the heated ResMed tube to get it away from my head. That helped a lot.  I still feel up there to make sure the swivel is going toward the back of my head to keep the weight away from the front, but it definitely stays put much much better than before.

Eventually, switching from a large frame to a medium made a big difference, too.  I had thought about wrapping the top of the large frame with some layers of flannel thick enough to create a pad between my head and the frame and create more friction to keep it in place, but reducing the frame size along with the feather weight short tube solved the problem.  Luckily Dreamwear frames are inexpensive on Amazon.  Good luck!

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - clownbell - 04-22-2021

Great idea -- I will get the Small frame. Less than $8 on Amazpn.

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - plakky - 04-22-2021

I hope you report back how that works for you!

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - clownbell - 05-16-2021

On further research, I have discovered the REAL cause and need help with the solution.

After I go to sleep, my jaw drops (mouth does not open) which disturbs the mask seal and causes big time leaks. I verified this by experimenting. This happens with nasal cradle masks (N30 and DreamWear cradle) and also with FFM. Now the question is how to keep my jaw shut. I am thinking a chin strap -- does anyone have a favorite? Or how about a boil-and-bit mouthguard -- any favorites? Any other ideas on how to keep the jaw closed?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - SarcasticDave94 - 05-16-2021

Take a look at Knightsbridge Dual Band chin strap. Supplier #37

RE: Problem fitting DreamWear nasal cradle mask - clownbell - 05-16-2021

Thanks SarcasticDave94