Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Mouth tape options - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Mouth tape options (/Thread-Equipment-Mouth-tape-options)

Pages: 1 2

Mouth tape options - trbeau - 05-03-2021

Hello,
I'm new here but I've been busy learning CPAP treatment options.  I started off with doctor's settings of 10 cm/H2O and experienced cheeks bulging and lips flapping while using nasal pillows.  I read about some tongue placement options but I wanted a more immediate solution.  
  • I first tried a popular brand of mouth tape therapy (Somnifix) and it worked.  BUT I have a big mouth and ended up using 1 1/2 tapes every night to effectively seal.  It's designed with small "pulls" on both ends to facilitate removal. It does come off easily.  The tapes cannot be reused.  The cost was about $1 (US) per night using 1 1/2 tapes each night.  
  • I ordered some other tapes through Amazon.  The first two were 3M Micropore and 3M Durapore.  MicroPore was effective but it was really hard to remove in the morning.  It took about 60 seconds to pull the strip off my mouth and I was afraid I would rip my lips even though I turned my lips inward when applying.  Micropore left a sticky residue as well that was hard to wash off.  I didn't try the Durapore because it felt even stickier.  Neither Micropore nor Durapore could be removed quickly if needed.
  • I also ordered some MedVance Silicone Adhesive Tape.  It went on easily and works great.  I put on a strip that extends about 1" past the corner of my mouth and it sticks all night.  It's perforated every quarter inch so it's easy to tear off without needing scissors.  It pulls off easily in the morning with no fear of tearing skin.  I've actually used the same piece of tape for two nights with good results.  I might get 70 plus nights out of roll of tape for a cost of $.08 per night.  BTW, I shave each night to get good adhesion.  Lastly, the silicone tape can be removed quickly in an emergency.   I make a fold-over "pull" tab for fast removal each time I apply the tape.
I hope this helps others who might need to tape their mouth shut.

RE: Mouth tape options - OpalRose - 05-03-2021

trbeau,
I've never had to use tape, but I'm sure your post will be of help to others.

Thanks

RE: Mouth tape options - John70 - 05-03-2021

Thank you for your post. 

I have followed you path with MicroPore and switched to Cover Roll Stretch 2" X 10 yards 2 pack for just 12.20 on Amazon. You cut it to size that works really good, nothing like MicroPore that tears your skin. It stays on all night with no issues if I just curl one end to get it off quickly. I even tried the slit in the middle though it leaked air. 

I will stay with the Cover Roll tape for now. However, I just ordered the 180" roll of MedVance from Amazon to compare. 

I have not tried Somnifix despite the reviews that it works. Someday maybe out of curiosity.

John

RE: Mouth tape options - trbeau - 05-04-2021

John,
If my mouth was a little smaller I would have stayed with Somnifix and wouldn't have explored other options.  I thought $.70/night for a single strip was kinda high. When I had to use one strip and cut another in half to get all-night coverage and seal cost approached $1/night.  Somnifix works well especially with pull off tabs on either end, durable adhesive and a small breath relief hole.  If Somnifix made a "large" I would have stayed with them.
Regards,
Trbeau

RE: Mouth tape options - Hoagie73 - 05-04-2021

I tape my mouth every night. I've had the most success, by far, with Equate brand cloth tape from Walmart. I cut three pieces and tape them together for the best seal. You might be able to use one piece. Two sometimes worked for me, but I'd break the seal where they overlap at times. So now I seal the overlap with another piece of tape.... if that makes any sense. You can get a pack of 2 rolls for under $3. And it lasts me around 2 months.

I hope this helps.

RE: Mouth tape options - Captain Howdy - 05-04-2021

Great info ! I'm experimenting using 3m tape. I find that I get a bit of drool build up which causes the tape to pull away at the corners of my mouth. I've got a few ideas to combat that tho.

Question. In your experience, do you put a little hole in the tape? I do experience a bit of chipmunk cheeks and thought this might help. But does it negate the overall seal? Will air just rush out ?

Thankyou again!

RE: Mouth tape options - multicast - 05-05-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:34 PM)Captain Howdy Wrote:  But does it negate the overall seal? 

Well, the purpose of a seal is sealing; punching holes inside it is counterproductive.  Train your tongue to avoid that chipmunk thing; this may last between a month and a year (tooks a year for me).  After that you may overcome taping; coming from taping I'm using a chinstrap solely now with zero leaks.  It just takes time!

RE: Mouth tape options - Hoagie73 - 05-05-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:34 PM)Captain Howdy Wrote: Great info ! I'm experimenting using 3m tape. I find that I get a bit of drool build up which causes the tape to pull away at the corners of my mouth. I've got a few ideas to combat that tho.

Question. In your experience, do you put a little hole in the tape? I do experience a bit of chipmunk cheeks and thought this might help. But does it negate the overall seal? Will air just rush out ?

Thankyou again!

The drool affected the 3m transpore tape I used to use and would cause the seal to break. But the cheap cloth tape from walmart is not affected by moisture. As long as I use enough to cover the corners of my mouth I'm good to go. It also healps if you have no facial hair. I used to sport a short beard, but have since opted for proper cpap therapy over a beard. The beard made it difficult to get a solid seal with mouth taping.

RE: Mouth tape options - mesenteria - 05-06-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:34 PM)Captain Howdy Wrote: Great info ! I'm experimenting using 3m tape. I find that I get a bit of drool build up which causes the tape to pull away at the corners of my mouth. I've got a few ideas to combat that tho.

Thankyou again!

You should get used to the chipmunk problem, except that if you awaken late and are within half an hour or so of your usual wake time, but you try to drift off again, the chipmunk bulge will actively interfere with that.  But, during the wee hours, it should not bother you.  I say this only based on my experience, me being a mere n of 1.

RE: Mouth tape options - 1morelia - 06-15-2021

thanks for all ot these  great solution ideas... I have tried several tapes, and it works but most of them rip my lips and around the mouth skin... I will try the Silicone Adhesive Tape to see if it works well and safe... otherwise I will order some Somnifix ... I read in another thread that someone safely reuses these strips, reattaching the back cover in the morning...