Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? (/Thread-Equipment-UARS-diagnosis-Which-machine-should-I-get)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-07-2021

Just a follow-up. I don't bother with the PAP mask fit. I was driven nearly insane by the evil grinning ghoul. Lots of coffee therapy to help me after that traumatic episode.

Seriously though if you adjust the mask well, it'll not leak much. All that's needed is consistent control over most leaks, especially those that disrupt sleep.

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - cinematic6436 - 06-07-2021

I'm not a fan of it either. I think I might be overtightening whatever mask I'm wearing just to make it happy, leading to slight discomfort which has contributed to me being unable to fall asleep until much later than usual. If the mask is leaking too much, that would show up somewhere in the Oscar data, right?

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - Sleeprider - 06-07-2021

Sorry for not weighing in earlier, but I think you have exhausted your options with CPAP. Results are a persistent central apnea above acceptable levels, but moderate. You need to discuss this with your doctor in the context of how you feel, and an observation that CAI remains high in spite of changes that have explored EPR and pressure options. Probably time to get a titration test from CPAP to ASV on the schedule.

Yep I'd agree with that. Most masks do leak more if too tight IMO.

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - cinematic6436 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 06:56 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sorry for not weighing in earlier, but I think you have exhausted your options with CPAP. Results are a persistent central apnea above acceptable levels, but moderate. You need to discuss this with your doctor in the context of how you feel, and an observation that CAI remains high in spite of changes that have explored EPR and pressure options. Probably time to get a titration test from CPAP to ASV on the schedule.

I just emailed my doctor requesting a titration test for ASV. We'll see what she says...

You should have been face to face stating all the negatives you're still encountering. IMO that is best case. Quite literally, take a stack of notes (and OSCAR if you choose) of the multiple instances of poor treatment and not well rested. And I'm not being sarcastic, take a stack of negative incidents.

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - cinematic6436 - 06-08-2021

My PCP said "a sleep study titration test will not be covered by insurance since you have no formal PSG with a sleep apnea diagnosis." She then said I should ask the CNP who was in charge of my previous sleep studies about the ASV titration, so that's exactly what I did. I also combined the Oscar screenshots by day, included them in the message, and mentioned again how I'm still sleeping poorly and feel fatigued throughout the day. If I scheduled an appointment to meet with her in person, that'd mean another few weeks of waiting just to give her the exact same information. I doubt I'd be able to make a more convincing argument in person anyway.

I thought I wouldn't be able to post my Oscar data today because I received a message about data on the SD card being corrupted (even though I was being careful to safely disconnect it from my computer every time), but when I disconnected/reconnected it to my computer, it went through, minus the mode & pressure settings, for some reason. Is there a way that I'm missing to safely remove the SD card from the AirCurve? I've just been popping it out after making sure the light isn't blinking...
 [attachment=32762]

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - Sleeprider - 06-08-2021

Got your PM. It’s okay to discuss the private acquisition of a used ASV here as long as the seller and buyer are not using their Apnea Board account to transact the deal. We can answer any questions you may have.

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - cinematic6436 - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 05:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Got your PM. It’s okay to discuss the private acquisition of a used ASV here as long as the seller and buyer are not using their Apnea Board account to transact the deal. We can answer any questions you may have.

Sounds good. So based on the Oscar data I posted this past week, would I benefit from switching to an Aircurve 10 ASV from a Vauto?

RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get? - Sleeprider - 06-08-2021

You have reduced PS to zero to reduce CA events and still have no apparent obstructive events, with mostly CA, UA and H.  If you have found a good deal on ASV then you will immediately cut AHI to less than 2 with settings of EPAP min 6.0, EPAP max 8.0, PS min 3.0, PS max 12. Leaks need to be controlled. I can't promise you will feel better or more rested, but you won't have apnea, and the PS min 3.0 is going to be pretty comfortable.  I don't diagnose or prescribe. This is simply based on experience with similar problems presented by many other members.

If you get a good price on a used machine, your risk is pretty minimal. You can re-sell if you can't get it to work for you, and it will save trying to go through sleep studies that cost much more. In the end, you get to choose what works best and gives you restful sleep. Let's be clear; a sleep study is nothing more than a trial and error, and the ASV auto does not need a sleep study to demonstrate efficacy. It will just happen if it's appropriate, or drive you crazy if it's not. Sleep medicine is not rocket science, it is trial and error with a high fee paid to doctors, and sleep clinics. I don't begrudge those professionals their right to make a living, but this stuff is dead-simple.