Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? (/Thread-How-to-mark-Oscar-for-events-like-awakening)

How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - plakky - 05-09-2021

Sometimes I'd like to note the time when I wake up (husband's snoring...) or some other "event".  I try memorizing the time on my bedside clock but never remember in the morning.  I'd like to be able to tie in some of the unexplained pressure increases or whatever on Oscar that don't seem to relate to CA's, etc.  Would turning the machine (Resmed Airsense 10) off and on do the trick?  Sorry if this is a kinda dumb question...!

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - SarcasticDave94 - 05-09-2021

The off then back on action would work. It'll show a separate sleep session, so it can't be missed. It's likely the surest way of marking it unless you want pen and paper.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - pholynyk - 05-09-2021

It does not show a separate session as listed on the sessions bar at the bottom of the Daily panel - unless the break is about two minutes or more.
For shorter breaks, there will be a gap in the flow and pressure gaps, which may be hard to spot. I am working a way of flagging these 'therapy breaks' for a future release.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - plakky - 05-09-2021

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Does "a gap in the flow and pressure gaps" mean if I zoom in I'd see the gaps in the Flow Rate and Pressure graphs from turning the machine off and on for a few seconds? That would be helpful.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - SarcasticDave94 - 05-09-2021

OK, thus corrected, even so the break or gap in flow rate and pressure should be quite noticable. Maybe try it next time you want to mark an issue and see if it works for you.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - Ratchick - 05-10-2021

You can definitely see the gap if you zoom in, I find it easiest to spot on mask pressure because you see the pressure ramping up from nothing to whatever your starting pressure is.

The other thing I've done is used the timer on my phone - start it going when you start your CPAP and when/if you wake up, hit the lap timer. You can use the basic one that comes with your phone if you are okay work out the actual time from the lap lengths, but I use an app called "Stopwatch 2 - Advanced Lap Timer For Android" which also has a timeline that notes the physical time for split times. Then you should be able to just look at it the next day and zoom in on the right time, without having to search for it.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - plakky - 05-10-2021

Those are two great tips! And I'd wondered how I could use my phone for something like this; would never have figured that out. Thanks so much.

RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? - 2SleepBetta - 05-10-2021

When sufficiently awakened or awake before falling asleep (and able to remember reasons why), I sharply displace and then replace my P-10 pillows mask within about a 3 second span. That causes a maximum large leak that stands out and I mostly remember why I did that. Most often, among the few times doing so, I've remembered a time when I thought I might have sensed one of those heart flutters, if not A-fib, episodes cardiology assistants always ask about before seeing the MD.

I've marked position changes that way, before using an accelerometer. That way I gained some idea of how breathing metrics change--at least when awake-with bodily shifts