Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! (/Thread-BiPap-Ramps-up-Blows-my-brains-out)

Pages: 1 2

BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - DreamMan - 05-28-2021

My Dreamstation Auto BiPap, instead of regulating by inhail / exhail, is blowing very hard continous air presurrure.  I am using Philips Dreamwear mask.  Breathing starts out ok when I turn my machine on.    i.e. I can feel the in out breathing control of the machine.

I will wake up with the machine blowing hard continuous air.  Sometimes I have a dry throat.  

I noticed that my mouth is opening slightlly so I assume this has something to do with the problem.  What I do not know is if it is the chicken or the egg.  By that I mean is the continuous air presure causing my mouth to open, or is my mouth opening causing the forced air?

I have had 3 Cpap macines over the last 15 years and never had a problem with my mouth opening.  But alas I am now 63 years old.  Had a sleep study on May 3rd 2021.  They switched me to a BiPap.  Said my cronic apena was a 95.

I have loaded OSCAR but have not used it much yet.  Anything specifficlly I can look at in OSCAR regauding this problem?

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Sleeprider - 05-28-2021

We don't know your settings, and an Oscar chart might be helpful in determining what pressures are actually being delivered by the machine. If you think the BiPAP is not delivering the set pressures, take it to a DME for testing.

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Ratchick - 05-28-2021

Hi and welcome,

I'd definitely recommend posting a chart so we can see what's going on (use the F12 key on your keyboard or go to the view menu and choose "Take Screenshot". You might have to make a few more posts so that you can attach the image (I think you need a total of 4).

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Sleepster - 05-28-2021

(05-28-2021, 06:11 AM)DreamMan Wrote: I will wake up with the machine blowing hard continuous air.  Sometimes I have a dry throat.  

Your new machine is probably set at a higher pressure than your previous machines, and this higher pressure is what's forcing the air to come out of your mouth. Have you ever tried a full face mask? That may be the solution to your problem. Since you have recently gotten a new machine (and presumably a new prescription for a higher pressure) your equipment provider will be obliged to provide you with different masks.

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - DreamMan - 07-06-2021

Thanks. . here ya go with posts of OSACAR data / info.  more to folow.

let me know if I did not post the right information!

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Crimson Nape - 07-06-2021

A screenshot (F12 key) of your Daily screen would provide a lot of information.

Background:

I have used a CPAP for about 16 years.

I had three sleep studies in that time.

The most recent on March 3rd.  My sleep apena score was 90.

The latest study on March 3rd said I needed to change to a BiPAP.  My old machine was a Dreamstation set to air pressure of 11.0.  It was blowing my brains out.   The new machine has higher preasure and is blowing my brains out.

Looing at the OSCAR data and reports it look (correct me if I am wrong) that my new macine started out helping me, but my sllep is getting worse every month since I got it.  That is my interpitation of the data and also my opinion of how the quality my sleep has been.

I will elaborate on what I mean by " machine is blowing my Brains out".  BiPAP is usually blowing with my inhale / exhale.  Then starts blowing very hard, sometimes my humidifier runs dry.  My mouth and throat are very dry.  Proablly due to my mouth opening with the nasal pillow.  

Just got a Hybrid mask to cover my mouth last week.  Still trying to adjust it and get use to it.  My wife says I am snoring with the mask on in the middle of the night.

My sleep is still quality is still going down.  I have symptoms that I do not know if they are sleep or another problem.  I have rining in my ears, especially my left ear.  Ear Nose and throat Doctor say I have degraded high freqency hearing in my left ear.  I have degraded eye sight in my right eye (per eye doctor).

I have lost 27lbs in weight and stopped dring alcohol to see if that would help.  Sleeping is still in a downward spiral.

I have scheduled another appointment with a different Sleep Doctor on July 24th.

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - Sleeprider - 07-06-2021

You are using your auto-BiPAP in fixed pressure mode at 16/12 (IPAP/EPAP). I'm going to suggest some changes to improve comfort, and perhaps improve AHI, which is predominately CA and H events typical for pressure support being too high, but overall is very good. Using Auto BiPAP mode will allow you to have lower overall pressure and should improve comfort. Suggested setting:
Mode: BiPAP Auto
EPAP min: 9.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS min 3.0
PS max 4.0

Please use the daily details chart as it contains much more relevant information than these summary and overview charts.

Smile

Per your suggestion attached is the Daily screen shot information.

Also just FYI, that daily screen shot from July 2nd is me wearing my new Hybrid mask that covers my mounth.

Thanks for the suggestions.

RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out! - SarcasticDave94 - 07-06-2021

Ok just note if I've read it correct, you have a pressure of 12-16, and PS 4. The data didn't look real bad, but how did it feel? Was it comfortable and did you feel OK for using it?

You might be able to get pressures of 9-16 as Sleeprider's suggestions stated and might be fine there as well.