Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery (/Thread-Bluish-Drips-on-Pillowcase-Mystery)

Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - johnnyb00 - 09-11-2021

I'm sure there's a simple explanation but so far it's eluded me. I use a nasal piillow mask (Aloha) and find these bluish/purple drip-like stains on my pillowcase. It's right where my exhaust from mask would be as I sleep on the left side. Other discussions mention a bleeding of the dye in the headgear, which sounds logical at first. These marks are like a drip or spatter rather than an imprint of the headgear however. There's nothing coming out of my sinuses like that, and no residue in the mask. It has even dripped/run down the side of the bedsheet and stained it.

Has anyone else run into this? Any wisdom is welcome!

John

[attachment=35612][attachment=35613][attachment=35614]

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - Gideon - 09-11-2021

IMHO IMMEDIATELY STOP USING YOUR MACHINE!!!!!

My guess is it is foam breakdown material. The color could be dye from the foam. In ANY case you are inhaling it!!!

Machine history please. Specifically make model#, Hrs use, cleaning routine, Any Ozone or UV cleaners, was it new or used originally.

Do you have another machine available to you?

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - johnnyb00 - 09-11-2021

Thanks much Gideon. I suspect the same as these are from when I was using the recalled Dreamstation1.
I have since stopped using the DS1 and purchased a DS2 after the recall. I'm hoping that has stopped it.
I'm thinking of having the pillowcases analyzed to see what exactly it is. It won't wash out.

John

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - speed3914 - 09-11-2021

OMG that's crazy!!   Sorry you had that experience

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - Crimson Nape - 09-11-2021

There were some masks a few years ago that had a gel filling that had a leaking problem. Of course, I just hit the limit of my memory on which ones they are/were.

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - TonyJ - 09-12-2021

For what it is worth I have also noticed a few similar spots on my pillowcase on the side I would normally sleep on as a side sleeper. They wouldn't wash out but did get somewhat less noticeable as a result of washing. I use a Res Med machine so hardly likely this is a result of foam breakdown. I use the P30i mask and I suspected this must be some sort of nasal drip but can't confirm.

RE: Bluish Drips on Pillowcase Mystery - Gideon - 09-12-2021

I assume it is not hair gel and is coming from your CPAP system. On that basis I maintain my original recommendation to stop using that system as nothing close to that should be coming from your system. That is unless you are a blue blooded alien.