Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? (/Thread-Supposed-UARS-No-benefit-from-APAP-after-3-weeks-continue-to-increase-pressure)

[Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - SteveIsTired22 - 10-10-2022

24M, healthy and active, 160lbs and about 5'11, also have a pretty long and skinny neck.

**Been going on for ~2 years now**
Symptoms:
  • Terrible sleep, waking up multiple times a night and often struggle to fall back asleep.
  • Jaw Clenching
  • GERD
  • Neck and Back Pain, both skeletal and muscular. Only really noticeable at night
Diagnosis: 
  • Home Sleep test (WatchPat) came back with ADI: 0.9, RDI: 9.5 (remRDI : 17.0, NonRemRDI: 7.4)
  • ENT saw I had an extremely deviated septum blocking around ~80% of my nasal airflow

Treatment:
  • Got a Septoplasty/Turbinectomy/Nasal Stenosis repair ~2.5 months ago, breathing is 1000% better, but my sleep didn't really seem to improve much at all.
  • Currently on APAP, starting on 7min 20max, with an EPR of 3. No improvement after a week so I bumped it up to 8, then after another week currently up to 8.4.

Included OSCAR results from last night, First one is from the entire night, second one is a zoom in from just before my first wake up in the middle of the night ~2am. 

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - upsman - 10-10-2022

I would not continue to raise pressure. 
Your events are mostly central, so increasing pressure may worsen them. I would however try reducing EPR to 1 cm or even disabling it. 

If you've only been using PAP treatment for a short while, I would just give it some more time. You may be just experiencing treatment-emergent central apnea. Your data looks fine, but you may be able to reduce your central events a bit more.

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - Gideon - 10-10-2022

I wouldn't change a thing setting wise.
You do have a manageable mouth leak, consider taping.  This is evidenced both in the leak rate and the zoomed view you provided.

Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - SteveIsTired22 - 10-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 11:32 AM)Gideon Wrote: I wouldn't change a thing setting wise.
You do have a manageable mouth leak, consider taping.  This is evidenced both in the leak rate and the zoomed view you provided.

Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.

I actually do tape my mouth at night, but only a relatively small piece going vertically down the middle of my lips to hold them closed. I can try using a bigger piece tonight and see if that helps with the leak at all.

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - SteveIsTired22 - 10-10-2022

Also here is my WatchPat home study I had done in case it may be of any use.

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - Psychotech - 10-10-2022

there are two thing i would suggest turn epr down to 1-2 , try a full face mask if your not claustrophobic or a hybrid mask

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - upsman - 10-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 11:32 AM)Gideon Wrote: Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.

I think you may have gotten the COPD part from my signature. I do monitor my 02 levels though. 
I didn't see any mention of this in his post.

RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? - Gideon - 10-10-2022

You got me on that one (COPD)

I do stand by my suggestion for no changes, to not reduce EPR, at least based on the numbers.