Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community (/Thread-Sleep-physicians-that-value-OSCAR-and-the-Apnea-Board-community)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - FrankFuss - 10-27-2022

Are there any online sleep physicians that are familiar with OSCAR and will use OSCAR data to help diagnose sleep results and write a prescription?  My ENT Dr was satisfied with my results from an APAP machine (ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet), where the AHI was greater than 10.  He said, things look OK and see you in 6 months.  Most of my apnea event were central apneas, and when I tried to show him some OSCAR data, he was not interested.

Since then, I acquired 2nd hand ASV and BiLevel machines (ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV and VAuto).  With information and help from the Apnea Board community I was able to obtain good results from both of these machines, where I get an AHI less than 1 in most cases.  I would like to order a new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto machine, but I imagine I would have to start all over with a local Sleep Dr.

I consulted with an online sleep physician that had no idea when I mentioned OSCAR.  It would be nice to find a sleep physician that valued what I can provide from OSCAR results and my history, and not have to start all over with a new sleep study.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - Lucid - 10-27-2022

Hi, FrankFuss  I don't know about doctors, but there are registered polysomnographic technicians (sleep techs) who consult online using OSCAR.  I came across them on YouTube when I was looking for reviews of masks.

They wouldn't be able to write you a prescription, but your ENT might take their advice.  (Normally a physician would get the initial sleep study and titration recommendations from a sleep tech.)

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - srlevine1 - 10-28-2022

I presented my Oscar results to my physician before handing him the ResScan report. He said the Oscar results could not be entered into medical records as they were produced by non-FDA registered or validated software and were therefore assumed to be unreliable. He mentioned that ResScan software was created and tested for capturing and reporting data from ResMed devices.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - JJJ - 10-28-2022

I have good results from my providers. They know that I use OSCAR, and they are familiar with it. One of their team, while discussing my (then) new bipap machine exclaimed how great OSCAR was, alhough they were not able to use it because it was not allowed on their computers (Kaiser Permanente HMO). Later they were unable to get the data from my SD card because their windows computers modified the data, and the staff refused to make the card read-only (it violates our policy). But they knew I used OSCAR and were delighted when I sent them a PDF of my OSCAR data.

Sadly, most practioners are only interested in checking the compliance box yes or no. In my opinion that is malpractice, but I don't get to be the judge.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - DaveL - 10-28-2022

Please remember that this forum serves the world.

I have used the information I learn here to do the best I can with my treatment.

Two years ago I got a prescription from my last Sleep Doc. He prescribed a cpap machine with fixed pressure obtained from a previous sleep study in his lab. My S10 *for her* is registered as a cpap machine in Ontario (learned from wonderful posters here). So I've got that machine set up using the clinician's manual.

If I need a different macine that is more capable or different from the cpap I have I can't get a prescription to buy one from this sleep doc.

I would love to have a sleep doc that has sleep apnea. I would love to have a DME supplier that has OSA too. I've tried to find those skills here with posts I've made to no avail. The only resource I have is rate my Dr and it's not helpful.

DaveL
Toronto

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - Sleepster - 10-28-2022

Find a sleep doc that trusts you. I just tell mine what settings are working for me and that's what she prescribes. Doctors have to protect their patients' privacy and they have to use computers. As a result they have a lot of restrictions on what software can be installed and used on their computers.

If you have a doctor that shows no interest in the data then you have a doctor that doesn't know how to read and understand the data, let alone use it to treat you. Find a different doctor.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - RainbowFish - 10-28-2022

I totally concur. My doc was not aware of OSCAR. Or maybe she was but had never seen the data it generates, because, as others have noted, the ability to enter OSCAR data via anything but a photograph is not allowed in the EMR. She thought it was great when I showed her what it could do.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - srlevine1 - 10-28-2022

@DaveL

Will Canadian doctors, authorities and DMEs honor “foreign” prescriptions? You might be able to get one using a video-conferenced TeleHealth session with a U.S. sleep doc that works with a U.S. DME. They appear “flexible” if you have device preferences.

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - DaveL - 10-28-2022

(10-28-2022, 02:15 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: @DaveL

Will Canadian doctors, authorities and DMEs honor “foreign” prescriptions? You might be able to get one using a video-conferenced TeleHealth session with a U.S. sleep doc that works with a U.S. DME. They appear “flexible” if you have device preferences.
@srlevine
I'll check. Good suggestion.  

However, I know that US DME suppliers will not honour Canadian doctor's prescriptions.  I checked after a trip to Cape Cod after my surge suppressor saved my cpap machine due to a power outage/reset.  

The Canadian DME supplier I have is careful not to offend Canadian Sleep Doctors, as that's their breadline.  Mine even checked up on me after I got the S10 *for her* and set it up as an apap. I had a prescription for a cpap from my sleep doc.

DaveL

edit:  I like your signature line.  (My Brother is Schizophrenic, and I'm his care giver.)

RE: Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community - pholynyk - 10-28-2022

Not sure about Canadian insurance or DMEs in general, but I know that to get Ontario's ADP reimbursement you have to use an ADP registered sleep doctor.

Sometimes it's easier to pay out of pocket and go to Supplier #2 who don't require a prescription for international orders.