Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? (/Thread-How-to-write-express-BiPAP-pressure)

How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - spetzal - 11-28-2022

I recently asked a respiratory therapist and a doctor how to express bipap pressure in writing.  One said EPAP/IPAP, the other said IPAP/EPAP.  Im thinking one misunderstood my question?

For context, my previous setting was IPAP 19 and EPAP 14.

Ive been referring to this as BiPAP 19/14

Am i right, or should it be reversed when verbalizing or writing?

RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - pholynyk - 11-28-2022

Much depends on which BiLevel mode you are using, so it is probably best to give labels for each number.

My own preference would be for EPAP first; so EPAP 14, IPAP 19.

Of course if you are using vAuto mode (fixed PS, variable E&I PAP), you would specify Min EPAP, Max IPAP, and PS.

And variable PS makes it even more complicated.

RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - spetzal - 11-28-2022

Im using fixed BiPAP (Bi-Level) as opposed to Auto BiPAP (AutoB) on my Philips Dreamstation.

I understand the preference stated by Pholynyk. What I am seeking to understand is how it would be written (and thus verbally expressed) on, for example, a prescription by a doctor. I think this would be the most accurate in terms of reference when discussing with doctors.

RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - Crimson Nape - 11-28-2022

Since the EPAP will always be the lowest value, I don't think it matters. The thing that is missing is the mode. If you are in the "S" mode, then your listing of 19/14 would mean your EPAP=14 and the IPAP=19, and an implied PS=5. If you are using VAuto, then you need to list a PS value. It is possible to have it listed as 14/19 PS=3. When using a Bi-Level CPAP, I would think it is best to always list a PS value, so the device mode is insignificant.

- Red

RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - spetzal - 11-28-2022

I think Crimson Nape is referring to a different machine/brand than my Dreamstation when discussing “S” mode and VAuto. However, he did answer my question, as my IPAP 19 and EPAP 14 on Bi-Level would be correctly written and verbally discussed with doctors as BiPAP 19/14.

Thank you!

And, of course, when confusion reigns between doctor and patient, i can expicitly say “EPAP” and “IPAP”

:-)

RE: How to write/express BiPAP pressure? - Crimson Nape - 11-28-2022

You are correct! I seem to have a problem comprehending a member's profile this morning. I'm blaming it on residual tryptophan from all the turkey I've consumed this past week. Big Grin

I'm guessing the Philips has a fixed pressure mode akin to the Resmed's "S" mode.

- Red