Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Experiences with Cheyne Stokes? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Experiences with Cheyne Stokes? (/Thread-Experiences-with-Cheyne-Stokes)

Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study? - Jacklinn - 12-15-2022

Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study?

At the same night I was doing a sleep study, my nose started clogging and I had to take the equipment out of my nose to blow it a couple of times. 

When the result came back, my doctor told me I have combined type of sleep apnea with episodes of Cheyne Stokes breathing. 

Is there any chance anything went wrong due to my cold? I took the thing in my nose off but never the thing around my belly.

(I've went to surgery for my obstructive apnea and this was a follow up. Central apnea is new to me.)

RE: Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study? - Sleepster - 12-15-2022

I doubt the results were affected by you removing the mask a couple of times. During the sleep study they are monitoring you so they know when you are asleep. You had to be awake to take the mask off, so that time would not be counted in the total time asleep and therefore anything that happened during those times is not used to determine a sleep disorder.

RE: Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study? - Sleeprider - 12-15-2022

It would be vey difficult but not impossible to mimic a CSR wave-form as the result of nasal congestion. Since I don't have the data or charts to look at, my experience with CPAP flow rates is that flow limitation, which is an upper airway semi-obstructive condition can appear similar to central CSR or CSA, but Cheyne-Stokes in particular tends to stand out as a very regular waxing and waning of flow without flattened inspiratory flow curves influencing the volume. If the doctor is competent in interpreting this chart (rather than a machine interpretation), then I doubt it is in error. You may want to ask the doctor if this conclusion is based on his personal observation of the flow rate wave-form as opposed to a machine interpretation.

Thee are a lot of other factors considered in a sleep study to decide on a diagnosis and to suggest a course of treatment. Once it is available, you should obtain a complete copy of the study for your personal records. Treatment for complex apnea, central apnea and Cheyne-Stokes is generally Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) for otherwise healthy individuals without heart failure.

Experiences with Cheyne Stokes? - Jacklinn - 12-26-2022

Tell me what happened efter you found out you had Cheyne Stokes respiration. 

Was it heart failure or something else that caused it? I'm still waiting to find out for myself.

RE: Experiences with Cheyne Stokes? - OpalRose - 12-26-2022

I've merged your two threads regarding nasal congestion and CSR.

I can rename the thread title if you prefer.