Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting (/Thread-Dream-station-2-apap-starting-therapy-above-minimum-setting)

Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - HelicopterPilot - 02-02-2023

My Dream station 2 apap is set for a minimum pressure of 7.5 and a max of 20.  

When I first started using the Dream Station 2 two weeks ago, the Oscar data showed that the start of therapy at night matched my minimum pressure setting for the first two weeks.

Suddenly for some reason the Oscar data is now showing that when the machine first starts therapy in the evening, the pressure is around 9.5 or 10.

What's going on here?  I would assume that when I first put on the mask and lay down to go to sleep, the machine would begin at my minimum setting of 7.5 instead of 9 or 10 like it did for the first two weeks of use.  This has been happening for the last two weeks.

So after one month of use, the first two weeks makes sense but the last two weeks do not make sense. 

Perhaps the algorithm in the machine has learned that my 95% pressure is closer to 11 and has decided to start therapy above the minimum setting???

there are several points during the evening that show the pressure dropping down to the minimum setting.  But its no longer starting at the minimum.

Anyone know what's going on here?

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - Crimson Nape - 02-02-2023

Hi HelicopterPilot! - Welcome

I'm a little confused. Your profile states you're using a Resmed AS11, but you are asking about a DS2. Could you provide us a little insight to this?

- Red

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - HelicopterPilot - 02-02-2023

Sorry.  My wife uses the Resmed.  I use the DS2.  I switched the machine on my profile.  My question correctly pertains to the DS2

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - Gideon - 02-02-2023

Please post the daily charts so we can see what is going on.

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - HelicopterPilot - 02-03-2023

OK.  I have posted 4 images.  The images are labled as follows;

1) matching. --- This means its a full night indicating that the initial starting pressure "MATCHES" the apap minimum setting.  This condition occurs every night for the FIRST two weeks of use.

2) matching hi res.  ---  This means its a hi resolution image  with respect to time focusing on the first few minutes of use for the night.  

3) not matching. ---  This means its a full night indicating that the initial starting pressure does  "NOT MATCH" the apap minimum setting.  This condition occurs every night for the SECOND two weeks of use.

4) not matching hi res . ---This means its a hi resolution image  with respect to time focusing on the first few minutes of use for the night.

I started to add the attachments but then was notified a maximum of Three attachments are allowed.  So I only added number 1 -3 above.  But I think that should be sufficient for your analysis.

Thank you for your help.

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - StratCat48 - 02-03-2023

My guess as a novice would be the high initial leak rate and the pressure started high to compensate for it(?)

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - Gideon - 02-03-2023

Please show the sessions on the bottom of the left sidebar for the non-match night

Therapy wise the obstructive clusters indicate that you have a positional apnea, most likely a chin tucking, which is both driving your pressure up and your event count/ahi as well.

Possibly a bit of pillow management may help. Think 1 vs 2 pillows or a flatter, less firm pillow. Otherwise you will likely need a soft cervical collar. Please read that wiki article in my signature. We have seen these apnea s disappear overnight with a properly fitted collar.

RE: Dream station 2 apap starting therapy above minimum setting - HelicopterPilot - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 04:52 PM)Gideon Wrote: Please show the sessions on the bottom of the left sidebar for the non-match night

Therapy wise the obstructive clusters indicate that you have a positional apnea, most likely a chin tucking, which is both driving your pressure up and your event count/ahi as well.

Possibly a bit of pillow management may help.  Think 1 vs 2 pillows or a flatter, less firm pillow.  Otherwise you will likely need a soft cervical collar.  Please read that wiki article in my signature.  We have seen these apnea s disappear overnight with a properly fitted collar.

Gideon,

Please find the requested data attached.  As an additional data point, I noticed and just now tested and verified, that when I push the button to start the DS2 therapy WITHOUT the mask on my face, the display instantly indicates a therapy pressure of 10.0 before the fan even starts blowing.  It also remains at 10.0 as the fan ramps up to speed despite the fact that 7.5 is set as the minimum apap pressure!!!

P.S.  You are correct about my sleeping position !!!  I frequently sleep on my back with a pillow propping up my head which forces my chin to tuck tightly against my chest !!!

I do this for cervical spine Arthritis.

I will try a cervical collar per your suggestion.

Thank you.