Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? (/Thread-Equipment-Should-I-turn-on-the-AB-Filter-option-on-my-AirSense-10-AutoSet-for-these-filters)

Pages: 1 2

Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - cLoo - 11-16-2023

I bought certain filters, but I need to decide what option to keep for those on my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.

On Amazon, the product is called "Disposable Filters ResMed Premium (20 Pack) Disposable Universal Replacement Filters for ResMed AirSense 10 - ResMed AirCurve 10 - ResMed S9 - AirStart (20 Pack)". Usually, I would've posted a link, but since I have fewer than four posts, I cannot do so. Hopefully, someone knows what filters I'm talking about.

Is anyone familiar with this regarding the AB Filter options?

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - Crimson Nape - 11-16-2023

Hi cLoo! - Welcome
The AB filter option in the Resmed menu is for a special filter that connects to the air hose. Leave this setting alone. Otherwise, you will be greeted with excessive pressure. All regular and hypoallergenic filters use the normal setting because they are on the intake side. Any resistance will be sensed by the CPAP to adjust for volume and pressure for these filters.

- Red

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - cLoo - 11-16-2023

(11-16-2023, 05:14 PM)Crimson Nap Wrote: The AB filter option in the Resmed menu is for a special filter that connects to the air hose.  Leave this setting alone.  Otherwise, you will be greeted with excessive pressure.  All regular and hypoallergenic filters use the normal setting because they are on the intake side.  Any resistance will be sensed by the CPAP to adjust for volume and pressure for these filters.

Thank you, Crimson!

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - stevew168 - 03-20-2024

I ordered the filters on Amazon and they appear to be similar to the hypoallergenic filters from ResMed, but cost much less.

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - OpalRose - 03-21-2024

This is the AB filter option that corresponds to the setting in the Resmed menu.  

Unless you are using this type filter, leave that setting option off.  

That setting has nothing to do with the fine filters that you are talking about.

[attachment=61566]

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - chronic - 03-21-2024

I ordered and received these from amazon.  Do you think they are sufficient?  As good or better than standard?  They look and feel a little better.
  • HIGHLY COMPATIBLE AND CONVENIENT - Look no further, the Mars Wellness CPAP Filter Kit is the perfect disposable filter kit fitting CPAP Machines from ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 to S9 Series. 52 pack means a full year supply allowing for ease of mind always knowing that you are covered
  • PREMIUM QUALITY - The Mars Wellness CPAP Filter Kit is proudly made in the USA to be able to offer the best quality at all times.
  • CLEAN AIR = HEALTHY LIFE - The Mars Wellness CPAP Filter Kit help keep your lungs clean, while also preventing dust, dirt, bacteria and other buildups from entering your machine.
  • BETTER SLEEP - We are all well aware that sleeping disorders will affect the quality of your life. That is why here at Mars Wellness we take our CPAP filters very seriously allowing you to get all you need from a good nights sleep.
  • 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - The Mars Wellness promise is to provide quality products and customer service at all times. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reach out to us right away, no questions asked.

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - Jay51 - 03-21-2024

I have used these filters from day one with my Trilogy Evo.  RT gave me about a dozen of them.  I have noticed that they get dirty pretty quickly (I have to replace them in a few weeks or so with a brand new one).  I am hoping that the dark colored (bacteria??) comes from air that goes back and forth through the external H & P humidifier I use with the Evo (bacteria is caused by the water and not any foam, dirt, etc. from inside the Evo).  Evo auto-titrates EPAP and IPAP all night long; so air going out and in past the filter many times.   Evo has a large filter on the back intake of the machine. 

Reasons to use it would be IMO:  1.  To test for a few nights or week(s) to see if anything abnormal is being released from your particular machine (foam, etc.).  and then 2.  As a safety measure if your get positive results.  

100% your call if you want to use them though.  They could be a peace of mind thing, etc.

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - G. Szabo - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 11:21 AM)Jay51 Wrote:   Evo auto-titrates EPAP and IPAP all night long; so air going out and in past the filter many times.               
 It is important to note that exhaled air is released through the mask release holes when the pressure drops and air should not go back into the hose  at any time.

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - Jay51 - 03-21-2024

Great point G. Szabo.  I should have explained a little better.  The auto-titrating function of the Evo AVAPS is like FOT (forced oscillation technique - where the machine uses pulses of air like sonar to see if an apnea is obstructive in nature or central.  It sounds like an old choo- choo train (the air going back and forth).  I can feel the air going in and out of my nose.  I can sleep through it no problem.  

This example could possibly occur with a machine that uses FOT.  It seems like some of the returning air from the FOT would pass backwards through the filter into the machine (when the FOT is obstructive and the air bounces back rapidly).

RE: Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? - G. Szabo - 03-21-2024

Thanks for the clarification, Jaj51. I got the message. I was thinking about the inhalation/exhalation line.