Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mask Leaks - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mask Leaks (/Thread-Mask-Leaks--43000)

Pages: 1 2

Mask Leaks - newtothis1 - 01-22-2024

Is there a way to get a custom made mask that guarantees no leaks and comfort?

Mask Leaks - newtothis1 - 01-22-2024

Is it normal to have slight sensation of leak on the skin when exhaling or inhaling? Should I ignore this or look for a new mask?

RE: Mask Leaks - Crimson Nape - 01-22-2024

newtothis1 - Since both your threads were the same name and related to the same subject, I have merged them. Please use this thread to post any additional replies on this subject.

- Red

RE: Mask Leaks - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 01-22-2024

If it possible? Will you want to pay what it costs? I expect custom molds will be very expensive as will each mask produced.

An interesting thought though. You can now get custom dental retainers via Amazon, why not a custom mask? Any entrepreneurs out there?

RE: Mask Leaks - paulag1955 - 01-22-2024

Masks do have vents to prevent you from re-breathing the same air over and over. I can feel the vented air on my face or even on my arm if I rest my head on it.

RE: Mask Leaks - newtothis1 - 01-22-2024

But the vent is usually on one specific location. At least on my mask if I am not mistaken. I get sometimes so annoyed by these leaks that I take the mask off and sleep without it. And I am sometime not even sure whether the air is from the vent of from the leak. Today at Cpap mask store they told me that every mask would have at least some leak and I should ignore it as far as AHI is good. Maybe I just had false expectations and its all mental? lol I don't know.

RE: Mask Leaks - Deborah K. - 01-22-2024

I don't know about custom masks, but finding a mask that works well is a big issue for all of us.  I started with a full face mask, tried my husband's nasal mask and found that better, then went to pillows masks which I liked better yet.  I currently use the Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution which I LOVE.  As a general rule, full face masks tend the leak the most, while nasal and pillow masks both leak a lot less.  Lots of folks here can tell you what works best for them.  You can also look up masks on Amazon and other places and do a search for which masks have the highest customer ratings.  

I hope you find one that works great for you soon, whether you have one made for you or find a good one in the above ways!  Shy

RE: Mask Leaks - paulag1955 - 01-22-2024

I see you're using OSCAR. It will tell you if your mask is leaking and, if so, how much.

RE: Mask Leaks - WhyMe - 01-22-2024

Guaranteed no leak? Probably not possible, even with a custom fitted mask, assuming such a thing exists. Every time you change position, you put different stresses on different parts of the mask. Even normal relaxation of facial muscles as you fall asleep, or having your mouth open slightly can cause leaks. Sleeping on your side can push the mask around as you settle into the pillow. As long as the leaks stay below the threshold the machine is capable of dealing with, you will still get “accurate” therapy.

My mask vents down from around the level of my mouth, but that air bounces off the sheets and pillow, resulting in feeling air all over up to my eyes. I wear a sleep mask covering my eyes, and have learned to ignore the rest for the most part. I may end up with a CPAP pillow that has cutouts for the mask to help even more. There are also vents at the elbow where the mask connects to the hose, so my mask actually vents from two locations, not just one.

RE: Mask Leaks - slowe - 01-22-2024

I have had luck with an AI app in the Apple store for finding my optimal mask.  it makes measurements of your face and recommends masks that will likely fit your face.  I am giving up the fight with nasal masks because of leak during REM.  The app recommended the Evora FFM for me and I found the leak rate to be better than with a nasal mask and much more comfortable even with beard stubble.  YMMV.  I have tried about 8 masks - success to acceptable degree with 3.  For me, the AI app would have narrowed the list quicker and saved $$