Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Member with new BiPap question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Member with new BiPap question (/Thread-New-Member-with-new-BiPap-question)

New Member with new BiPap question - Pbeth1 - 03-25-2024

Hi. I have experience with board etiquette but do please tell me if I am stepping out of line here in any way. I have searched posts for content I am seeking to no avail.  I will hope that is a similar result anyone would obtain. 

Pertinent data.  
* 74yoF, apnea dx 2019; untreated events=64
   Originally fitted with CPAP but pressure  became too high
*BiPap is ResMed AirCurve10, S mode
  * settings = 17I/13E preasure;  humidity =1
  * time in service = 4 years

ISSUE and actions:
Suddenly about 4 weeks ago,  I wake in the morning to congested sinuses and accumulated moisture in outer ear canal. It’s literally wet.  Over time it has created severe itching in outer ear. I have attempted to self medicate with steroid cream for itching, decongestant, to no effect. I have adjusted humidity from 3, where it has been for 2 years, to 1. I tried no humidity but woke up so dried out I couldn’t stand it. A setting of 1 helps.  

I hired a consultant who seems entirely capable and who reviewed by OSCAR data. The current settings are his suggestion.  We will huddle sometime soon to see what has developed since our discussion. 

My pulmonologist is willing to be my sleep doc but not very interested in steering anything. I think I have a dme provider but not one provided by him. It was in the same group as one I had when first diagnosed over an hour away. So I think I am self managed. 

THE ASK::  have any of you experienced this?  If so can you describe how you successfully addressed ?

Many thanks for your time. And apologies for challenges in formatting text here. 

Pam

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - ZZDave - 03-25-2024

Been a long-time member. Also, long-time frustrations. CPAP has never seemed to work for me BUT I have Narcolepsy. I had concluded that the Narcolepsy has much more effect than PAP therapy.
The real problem is that I need "controlled" prescription drugs to be able to live with Narcolepsy; I was switched to a new Sleep Disorders provider, he had me take another PSG test then a Bi-PAP titration and is convinced that I need a PAP device.
Here's the "kicker" he won't prescribe the meds for Narcolepsy unless I use PAP therapy!
In the past I had learned that CPAP actually aggravates nightime hallucinations associated with Narcolepsy
CAN THIS DOC ACTUALLY WITHHOLD NEEDED MEDS if I decline to use PAP therapy?

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - Pbeth1 - 03-25-2024

ZZDave, thank you for your reply. I should have noted that except for this new phenomona of wet ear canals, I’m a striking success in terms of PAP success - whether Bipap or CPAP - but my vocal dystonia much prefers BiPap.  I have decreased 65 apneic events to less than 5 predictably.  I sleep better and I don’t drag around all day.   

That said, I am sorry for your frustrations.

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - Sleeprider - 03-25-2024

I sometimes get a similar feeling in the ears, and use an ear irrigator to flush wax and dirt from the ear. This helps to clear the condition for me. If you have a low-grade infection, then your doctor would see the inflammation and probably Rx antibiotics. If allergy related, Flonase may help to keep the nasal passages clear and reduce inflammation that that end. Sorry for the shotgun sort of answer, but a good ear flushing system might just clear things up for you.

Feel free to post an Oscar chart. Based on your settings, I know what consultant you're using, and I have a bit of a different take on things, and don't see a residual event rate of 4 to be particularly impressive.

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 03-25-2024

I have ongoing issues with my ears draining as well, but mine seem to be related to allergies. It happens during our four allergy seasons here, basically year-round. I use Flonase most nights as well. 

What works best for me when it gets very bad are antibiotics to clear up the inner ear infection. A few days and Bob’s your uncle. Nasal rinsing with a neti pot helps quite a bit, but there are still times I need to get antibiotics. 

The never-ending story…

To be sure I am frequently under 2, but if I’m under 5 and don’t feel sleepy the next day, I’m good. I’m not an ideal patient. I have very fair and tender Irish skin and if I overtighten the straps I have strap bruising until evening or
Longer.  So I’ve long accepted more leakage than is ideal.  The consultant asked me to tape from bottom of mask to underneath chin because my chin was dropping in deep sleep. That helped immediately in terms of leakage.  I also am a side sleeper that tosses and turns a lot. So I will accept less than idea data results if I’m clinically ok. 

Thanks!

I’ve had a number of friends suggest I consider allergies. I’ve never had an issue and maybe my good fortune has ended , or one friend said it’s much worse than is typical this year. I will go by CVS tomorrow to see what pharmacist recommends.  Man, Flonase is expensive!! 

Thanks much!

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 03-25-2024

Buy generic Flonase at Costco or Sam’s. You get three for the price of one at the chemist. At least here in the American Southeast.

Thanks!!

RE: New Member with new BiPap question - Sleeprider - 03-25-2024

Fluticasone Propionate. should have mentioned generic.